How Do I Look?

Well, I have really taken the plunge now. I now have over 126,200 items in 505 lots listed in my BrickOwl store. And, as both a seller and buyer, I am still learning how this site works. So I would appreciate it very much if some of you could take a look at my store and storefront to let me know how I look. Does everything look OK to you? How can I improve things and get more sales? Thanks in advance for looking and your helpful comments.

Thor
http://netbricks.brickowl.com/

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey Thor, nice to see you make the move :-bd

I think the front page's clarity could be improved, the first impression is a real Wall of Text. Try to separate paragraphs under headers in bold rather than in capital letters. I think you could also cut on the general "Terms" chatter, to keep it simple, less verbose. BrickOwl takes care of many things which would otherwise require lengthy terms.

I couldn't advise further, I just opened on BrickOwl yesterday myself! (72300 items in 1652 lots)
  • Seconded - good move - I would agree with Stragus impression with "wall of text" - however most folks who buy here **may** glance at your home page - there is really little need as "terms", shipping costs and hidden extra fees are pretty much irrelevant on BrickOwl whereas on the other place you place an order - allegedly contractually binding, without knowing how much the invoice will be.

One of the most important aspects of selling here is (IMO but with time here) quick response, quick shipping and accurate orders - and good customer service - make a mistake do something to make good - like Amazon do…

A few recent purchases on the other place left me in limbo - no response after 2-3 days - do I go elswhere and risk an NPB? Doesn't happen here - at least not yet for me!

Graham
  • Graham, what's your experience with "Request a Quote" versus predetermined shipping settings? Do buyers shy away from stores using quotes?

I would love to rely more on computed shipping, but my first tests indicate that the system is very pessimistic about what can fit in Canada Post Oversized Mail/Light Packet (20mm thickness maximum). Using computed shipping means that the system would constantly overcharge shipping for small orders...
  • I don't see you accept credit cards, the Stripe integration awesome for this, more so than just accepting them through PayPal.

Less than half my orders are paid this way, but it accounts for about half my sales volume. Seems to be the most common method used for large international orders in my store.

This from your paypal info checking out.... (if this really a "binding" kind of place to put terms? required reading?)

LARGE ORDERS PAID VIA PAYPAL: For orders over $50 from PayPal paying buyers with less than 10 feedback on BrickOwl and/or BrickLink, any orders from buyers with a history of improper or questionable chargebacks or reversals, orders from buyers who request customs fraud, or any other orders we reasonably deem high risk, we reserve the right and you agree that we may (a) decline or return payment via PayPal and require a different form of payment and/or (b) require insurance, tracking and/or shipment to a PAYPAL CONFIRMED ADDRESS, or (c) cancel such order at our sole discretion.

Seems kind of strict to me, even though I see what you are trying to protect. There are so many first time/low feedback buyers I am not sure it comes across as very welcoming.

I would scrap the bricklink side of the clause for a couple reasons, don't have to change your goal but leaving it unsaid seems better to me as it is covered under "reasonably deem".

(a) Require? I would think it is more "should you choose to continue after our rejection of your payment we can offer you alternative methods". My point is I am the customer and you are here to serve me, I should have equal chance to cancel under these terms as I am going in blind on if I will end up being considered high risk.

(b) Seems these extra charges (insurance/more expensive shipping than asked for) would be hard to have show up in the system. You can't just send new invoices here.

I think it would be better to set up your payment methods with the tolerances you want rather than trying to do it after the sale with words in this location. Quote only for orders over 50 the easiest way if these terms are that important to you.

Bank transfer

You say it is only available for purchases over 500 but I see it as an option, so I would guess you should set that minimum on the method. Also it says pre-approved but I see it, maybe keep it disabled and only enable it for an agreed upon time with a specific customer.

I believe it is better to not have things showing you don't want anyone to use rather than hope only the right people will pick the option because it is explained well.

Just some of my own biased thoughts. :)

Joe
  • edited April 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I would love to rely more on computed shipping, but my first tests indicate that the system is very pessimistic about what can fit in Canada Post Oversized Mail/Light Packet (20mm thickness maximum). Using computed shipping means that the system would constantly overcharge shipping for small orders...
    First I would say until all bits in your inventory have a measurement it is better to just work with weight tolerances. With the caveat you have gone through and made sure anything bigger than 2 cm (EDIT: 18mm) in your inventory has a dimension.

I have had basically no problems with light packet or domestic envelopes, just when they are pushed to the limits of volume in larger orders. I would say over 98% are correct postage the first time for both light and small packet for me.

Domestically it is fairly easy to send in two envelopes for not that much more, internationally it is a rare order that does not have the profit to send as small packet instead of the envelope when hitting the line. Once I get to the last hundred or so parts not measured in my inventory I will be trying the volume limits out.

Until domestic regions get sorted I am using the overcharge with refund or ask for a quote angle with parcels. Over time these orders have picked up speed, domestic parcel shipping was dismal for the first few months, now I would say more than half pay the extra no issues and get the refund, a smaller percentage ask for a quote first. Then at least half of them don't ask for a quote on the next order but checkout right away for the convenience.
  • First of all, I love the name. A logo would be nice.

Some variety will drum up some sales. I have 26,759 items in 2,587 lots. I'm convinced that many of my orders result from the fact that I have a wide variety, if not big volume, especially with the Brick Owl Wish List automation. Of course, I do end up picking lots of single item lots.

Add Stripe. It's a great solution, and allows casual buyers to checkout easily. Always make it easy for people to give you money.

The terms are largely unnecessary. Also, you can't leave non-positive feedback for buyers.

When it comes to customs fraud, I like Plastic Bricks Direct's policy: cancel the order and block the buyer. I don't want anything to do with someone who is willing to defraud their government, as they are likely to defraud me. I don't think you need explicit terms to outline this, either. Asking a seller to break the law is always unacceptable behavior.

Long explanations about shipping are tedious and make me want to go elsewhere. Maybe just "If shipping seems high, request a quote and I will see if I can reduce it." That's all I really care about. If you want to offer uninsured shipping, just set it up as a shipping method and label it like this:

USPS First Class Mail (uninsured)
    USPS First Class Mail (insured)

It's more work on your end setting up the different methods, but as a buyer, it's just clicking a button at checkout instead of trying to understand terms. Personally, I never charge extra for insurance.

That's my $0.02 USD.

Enoch