Cross promotion

edited April 2014 in Brick Owl Vote Up-1Vote Down
I suppose this is open to interpretation, ethics and the ToS of all venues.

OK so here is my situation, I only sell parts here on Brick Owl.

However I have numerous sets now gone OOP due to lack of time to part them out, I also have several thousand minifigs.

I used to sell minifigs on eBay - and sets on Amazon and may go back that route.

I currently have sets and minigs listed on BL, that are not listed here - some are but most aren't (or won't be)

So may I mention my BL store here for sale of those items, and for anyone who may know may I mention my Brick Owl store here on BL?

If not directly on the home page, then what about including both names on invoices?

I have noticed that some folks with parallel stores note here about their BL store being in parallel, whilst not doing the same on BL - ie no mention of Brick Owl at all.

Is that to do with the different ToS of both venues?

It's not only cross promotion, it's also for shipping because I could then ship orders from different venues together.

So far it seems to me that most customers come to BrickOwl for parts, so any cross promotion would like benefit Brick Owl, perhaps more so than the other way.

Thoughts and suggestions? Please ***be nice :)*** I am not intending to start a bashing war :O

Graham

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would prefer you don't try to drive customers to other market places where you also sell stuff. I don't have a problem if someone wants to say look at this cool set on the Lego shop, but I do have a problem if they say hey look at my eBay listing that I am selling.

• That wouldn't be my intention.
    It would be more of a "I have a parts shop on Brick Owl" than anything else. However it woud also be to allow folks to combine purchases for shipping.

some folks mention their BL store here or that they "sell on BL" etc is that acceptable?
  • I think usually it is to inform customers not to place the same order one both websites, I'm fine with that, but not if it were purely to tell them they sell on other places.
  • I feel the proper solution would be some software to synchronize your inventory (and orders) on multiple marketplaces, so you could also offer on BrickOwl what is presently on BrickLink, and there would be no reason to mention other marketplaces.

A couple sellers have their own inventory synchronization software running. I started working on a simple one that's going to be free and open-source, it may still take a couple weeks though.

• @Stragus - that's very noble of you, and will be very much appreciated by (me/us "not so savvy folks")

Graham
  • Considering we are told here what we must name our own stores. Pretty sure adverting other sites wont be put up with.
  • I don't remember being told what to name my store. Am I missing something?

• @EricHamby - what are you on about? I picked a name (that BL wouldn't allow) no problem - Lawrence (aka Admin) is pretty accommodating regarding "mentioning" other places. Whereas the other place is very hostile toward FAIR competition.
    Without prejudice to "the other place" personally I would rather buy from sellers here #1 reason - no open ended (alleged) "contract" or "contractual obligation" without full disclosure.
  • On BL I can name my store my actual store name "binofblocks.com". Here I cant. Thats the name of my actual store. Even my store location located in Las Vegas. Every label and invoice has this name and yet on BO I cant use it. BL been fine with it even though you talk about how terrible they are. So yes. Least on BL I can use what name I want.

Thats what im on about... ok.