How to Show Actual Shipping in SEARCH Results?

This is not meant to resurrect closed discussions. I merely want to know if I have missed something in my BO shopping preferences. I understand that search results on BO show both the item Price and the Price Plus Shipping. I always though the Price Plus Shipping amount was the seller's MINIMUM shipping, or what their shipping rates started from. But I was just told that I am wrong about this and that "BO displays ACTUAL shipping in search results not MINIMUM shipping". Is there something I have to do in my BO shopping preferences to show this? Because every time I search for bulk it seems the Price Plus Shipping figure is much lower than what actual shipping should be. It also seems the Price Plus Shipping amount does NOT change when I change my search quantity from 15 to 1500. Thus, for example, when I search US stores for 1500 new 1x2 black plates, two stores appear in the search results. The Price Plus Shipping amounts are $3.04 and $2.58. Are these amounts really what I will be charged by these sellers to ship 1500 of these plates to me? Such an order should weigh 1.5 pounds or ore (packed), and I would expect US domestic shipping to be at least double these amounts. So what am I missing here? How can I get the SEARCH results to show me ACTUAL shipping charges? And can those SEARCH results be tweaked to take into consideration any items I may have already put in shopping carts with two or three other sellers?

If I can get actual shipping charges in my search results, it would make my life as a buyer here much easier. For one thing, I could make cost comparisons much quicker without actually having to put anything in shopping carts and opening multiple windows. Thanks in advance!

Thor

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited April 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Search listings always show the correct shipping price for the part/set you're viewing. This isn't particularly useful for parts, except perhaps to give an indication about which sellers might offer cheaper shipping, but for sets it is useful. It always shows each seller's shipping charge for the set you're viewing.

You said in your other post that it always shows each store's cheapest/minimum shipping. It doesn't.
  • So then how can I tweak my buying preferences to get the search results to show me actual shipping? Every search I make for parts only shows me the minimum shipping charges. You said it doesn't. So what did you do to get actual shipping shown in the search results? And if the search results do show actual shipping, then why do you say it isn't particularly useful for parts? I am receiving mixed messages here. Please clarify. If BO does have a feature to show me actual shipping for bulk parts, I definitely want to opt in to it. But right now, the shipping amounts shown in the search results remain unchanged even after I change to number of parts from 1 to 1000.

Thor
  • edited April 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-brick-2-x-2-3003-6223-15591

This is a sample page from the catalogue. Every store shows the shipping cost if you order 1 of those items from them. You can't (currently) change this quantity. It would be a great feature if you could. As I said, it's not particularly helpful for parts except perhaps as an indication of each seller's shipping charges (on BL you have to visit every store to see the shipping charges).

In the case of sets, it's very helpful. It offers a direct comparison of the total cost to purchase and receive that set.
  • If I order 1 part??? So then the search results DO show MINIMUM shipping? OK, thanks. But this really isn't helpful to me as a buyer when putting together a 5 pound parts order consisting of dozens of lots and thousands of parts. For those orders, showing in the search results the Price Plus Shipping for only one single part is meaningless to me.

It would, indeed, be great if BO could base the Price Plus Shipping amount on the quantity you input in your search query. It should not be too hard to do either. But even that would be fairly meaningless if you want to order two or more different lots. So yes, showing these shipping figures in the search results isn't particularly useful for parts.

Thor
  • I said IN MY VERY FIRST POST about this on the other thread that what I was talking about wasn't very useful when looking at parts, but was extremely useful when looking at sets. It's taken you several posts and several explanations to actually understand this point. Either that or you deliberately set out to make an issue out of it.

Either way I am done replying to you.
  • H, I said I did not want to resurrect a closed discussion and started this thread merely to clarify whether I misunderstood BO's search results showing minimum shipping instead of actual shipping. Because if I was incorrect, I wanted to know how I could tweak my own settings to show me what you claimed to be seeing but which I could not see when I did my own searches. I would love to have a tool that showed me actual shipping in the search results. Alas, no such tool exists - at least when it comes to bulk parts. So I was not mistaken at all.

Your comment about this not being very useful for parts did not appear until your TENTH post in the previous thread. It seems it has taken you several posts and several explanations to actually understand MY point. And I did not have to insult you or call you a troll to do so.

I don't understand your hostility Hoddie. We had a simple disagreement or misunderstanding about how something works here on BO. I asked for clarification. Why make it so personal?

Thor
  • So, I just tried that out, including the quantity you have filtered by in the shipping calculation. The problem is it becomes confusing, because then you are seeing the price for buying one part in one column, and then the price for buying one part plus the shipping for buying 100 parts for example in the other:.

I could change that price plus shipping column to show the price for buying 100 parts plus the shipping for buying 100 parts but I still fear it may be confusing.

Ultimately, this functionality works best for larger items were you buy less of them and the shipping is more variable and closely linked to the large item. As in sets versus parts.

Unfortunately I'm going to close this thread also though.
This discussion has been closed.