Intention of "Stud Dimensions"

I'm going through the Modified Plate category and getting dimensions inputted. In regards to the stud size, should this be indicative of the plate area itself or the size of the entire piece? For the 1x1 clips it's not that big of a deal. For things like the 1x2 plate with the pointy rubber extension, there's going to be a substantial difference.

Brian

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If the dimensions in MM are being converted from your stud measurements, it affects the ways I have my shipping parameters set I think, and needs to be the "smallest box the item would fit in" way.

May be a conflict there if it can't include protrusions.
  • When I've been hand updating items, I've used mm as an absolute and studs as a relative dimension. For the part in question I would enter the mm as absolute. But not sure if it should be referred to as 1x2 as the part name references or 2x8 as the largest dimensions.

Brian
  • For that part with the pointy rubber thing, I guess do 2x8, but I really don't know. For things like plate modified, do the standard size of the plate part. I don't really have any rules for it, the dimensions should be the " smallest box it will fit in" and stud dimensions is sort of how many studs does it occupy.
  • When I've been hand updating items, I've used mm as an absolute and studs as a relative dimension.
    I thought the two were linked and had to match each other? Kind of an assumption on my part, mostly from you speaking of conversion factors. I was not watching close enough and thought if you entered one it automatically entered the other.

• It better not! The mm height is going to be different for plates vs. tiles. Plates will be 3.2 + 1.7 whereas tiles will be 3.2 period. There are several other pieces where this is the case too. Sometimes there are studs on the ultimate top, sometimes not. And sometimes there are other protrusions that whack it out even more. Look at the description under those 2 measurements in the edit screen. Millimeters includes every protrusion, studs generally does not. My original question was to ask what purpose the studs dimension served and how it could affect say the 1x1 plate with clip. Ultimately the part is a little over 1.5 studs long with the clip but since that is being captured in the mm, how important is it?

Brian