Different languages

I noticed there is an option to change the language of the site. I've tried this and changed the site to Dutch. My Dutch is pretty well, but on the main site I got several ridicules (google) translations: "Differentiates mold variations" is translated to "onderscheidt verschillende schimmels". Which means: differentiates various mildew. Pretty strange for LEGO.

Carts is also translated into stonecoal Dutch (:-)). That's what we say when a Dutchman speaks English on a Dutch manner.

I've put the language back to English, because that's better readable then the Dutch version. @Lawrence: give me a sheet so I can help with the translations into Dutch.

Another question came up: What kind of language shows the site for someone from the UK?

Frank

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good point, I checked Polish language and it's just... well... not perfect, I would say :)

Lawrence, many thanks for this option, I think it's useful and needed. I've been dealing with quite a few buyers who knew exactly what they wanted, but couldn't navigate the site (BL, granted) properly because of the language barrier.

So, if you need any help with translating, I am ready to help as much as I can. At least with the most obvious, visible and misleading inaccuracies.

Isabel
  • I just checked French and Spanish, and well... they are also very lacking.

I'm perfectly fluent in both languages, can we help with the translations?
  • I certainly do intend to eventually allow people to improve the translations, but it will take time to build the interface to allow that. For now, I figure it is good enough for people who couldn't otherwise use the website at all.

At the moment, the languages are not automatic, it defaults to English for everyone. I've not yet worked out how exactly I want to handle this.
  • It seems a lot of trouble designing an interface just to edit small bits of text everywhere...

An easier way could be just to put all these strings in a file, preferably while specifying the page each string comes from (to give a little context), and ask volunteers for a complete translation. Just my two cents.
  • Unfortunately that won't be suitable as each chunk of text will need to be verified first. Otherwise there is a security risk and the possibility of variable replacements being mucked up and causing serious issues for people.
  • Same as you have the 'BL Translators' you can pick and choose people from here that well, wouldn't want to mock the site, and give them the strings.

Not public, but have a chat with a couple volunteers that (you think) you trust, and work with them.