Newbie!

Hello,

My name is Jeff and I've become a Lego fanatic (first step is admitting the problem, right?)

I think like many of you, I came back to Legos through my kids and found myself a new hobby (that I totally didn't need right now but it's already too late...). I've kinda been stumbling around and first found LDD and to my joy and excitement, discovered I could design my own stuff virtually, and then a friend pointed me to Brick Owl and I realized I could start buying the parts I needed to make those totally, totally amazing things I designed. So now I'm starting to get serious and have a couple of newbie questions.

1. LDD or LDraw? I didn't even know there was more than one until now, so I've been using LDD for about six months now. Should I stay? My main concern is I have no idea if LDD and its library is kept updated, since it looks like Lego no longer actively supports it, unless I'm mistaken. Also, I'm guessing you can't do any renders with LDD.

2. Hey, you heard about this BrickLink place? :) I actually hadn't until just a couple weeks ago, but as someone new to the community, I vastly prefer BO to BL. BO is MUCH easier to use, for all the reasons I'm sure you're well aware of (faster paying, upfront shipping, color designations that match LDD, etc.) I understand they will have a new update in May, but my plan is to use BO whenever possible and BL only for those HTF pieces that aren't on BO. My question is, is there a way I can help here at BO and help it grow? My coding skills are pretty rusty and I don't have a ton of time (see: aforementioned kids), but maybe if you need to spread the word or something I could do that.

3. Good sites? I already found Brothers Brick and TheBrickFan. Any good ones for getting involved in the Lego community in general?

4. What is an Owl (as in, 125 Owls sold)?

Thanks!

Comments