Bricksync - inventory errors.

Still mystified by excess physical inventory, however having tracked down the last I may have a reason...

The PC running Bricksync is not in the same building as physical inventory

With the following scenarios, in this order of operation, what will happen to inventory in the second scenario? Will the uploaded inventory be written over or "deleted"?

Create inventory to upload in Brickstore.
Mass upload to BL.
Set Bricksync in BL master on
Set Bricksync back to BL Master off

vs

Create inventory to upload in Brickstore.
Mass upload to BL.
Order is received after mass upload, but before setting BL master on
Set Bricksync in BL master on
Set Bricksync back to BL Master off

Thanks in advance

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BS checks for order updates before applying the upload changes, so it shouldn't make a lot of difference.
  • @graham why aren't you using the built in commands in Bricksync to do your upload instead? You wouldn't have to touch BrickLink then, or do a blmaster on/off.
  • The only problem would be on the second scenario as it could happen that the QTY Bricksync thinks it has is less than the ordered (because it doesn't know about the upload) and will throw some errors. But after blmaster on/off it will be back to normal.

Bricksync is actually a robust software that only edits qty when something happens, via a command or via an order.

The only thing that one has to take into account when doing a blmaster on/off is to not have any order "In Progress" on bl as that inventory is sometimes stuck on a limbo for sometime until it is returned.
  • @brickadoon I'm not familiar with that. Is there a way to upload by connecting brickstore to bricksync directly?

Also I'm on Mac OS - bricksync is running on a clunky slow outdated pc (the only one I have) so would need to get data from Mac to PC
  • @graham if you're able to save the BrickStore upload to a BSX file, you can copy it to the BrickSync PC and run the merge command ("merge filename.bsx"). This will add the BrickStore data directly into BL and sync it to BO without having to do blmaster on/off. This is how I do all of my uploads, price changes, location changes etc. I've never uploaded via BL.

Not sure how you connect the Mac to the PC though if they're in different building? Are you able to network between them in some way? Or can you take a USB stick between them?
  • @brickadoon Thank You! How i did not know that all these years! Yes easy enough using a stick. Hopefully that'll be the fix. These errors have been driving me nuts, though fortunately results in more physical inventory than shows available
  • Last time I tried it via BS , BS stopped the action because of the API call limit to BL.
    Every change went into 1 API call.
    Luckily BS made a BSX file for all updates it hadn't done, I took that BSX file, updated BL with it and did a BL master :smile:
  • @Graham I've attached a photo showing the Merge command in action. One important tip - when you've done the merge, delete the file from the BrickSync PC so you don't accidentally merge it again!
  • Have you ever had Bricksync hang and done changes without noticing? This is the only time it has caused inventory errors for me. It restores to it's backup when restarting if you did changes in BL they will be erased.

Just happened to me recently in fact. Moved some stuff from a Stockroom to Active and didn't notice that BS had hung and it erased all the Active lots I moved over with me cursing under my breath as it was restarted.
  • @leopard37 that sounds really annoying!

I've got my Bricksync running on a small Windows tablet PC next to my main PC, so I tend to notice straight away if there's an issue with it.