Add Paired Items to Catalog

edited July 2013 in General Vote Up3Vote Down
I really dislike listing superlots in BL. So for BO can we have paired items in the catalog. For example, right and left wedge plates, right and left wedges, windows and glass, doors and frames, etc. OK, maybe windows and glass, and doors and frames may not work because there are multiple combinations possible. But let's at least have paired items where there are no multiple combinations - such as paired left and right wedges and wedge plates in the same size and color.

Thor

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Oops... this was supposed to be posted under Suggestions. D'oh!
  • Hmm. Wouldn't this be covered by the custom items? They do get added to the catalog, after all. And you can add tags for the part numbers and any other search terms that would pull up the component parts.

Also solves the problem for all those "animals" that many of us feel should be listed as complete assemblies.
  • A 50304 and 50305 (left and right 8x3 wedge plates) are not custom. And they obviously belong together as a pair.
  • A 50304 and 50305 (left and right 8x3 wedge plates) are not custom.
    Why not? I'm not saying that they necessarily should be covered by the current Custom mechanism, but it makes sense to me that what you are looking for would easily be covered by the existing Custom structure.

Wouldn't it be great, as a seller, to be able to select this one item from the catalog to sell it? And for it to show up in catalog searches for the part number or part names? Or to have groups of parts like those to create the Duplo Cars characters, etc? Right now the Catalog shows Custom sets, all of which are composed of collections of LEGO parts. Is this much different than paired parts?
  • Having these kinds of obvious pairings in the catalog will be much easier on sellers when they list things and much easier on buyers who are looking to buy the pair. It will also help sellers sell equal amounts of both sides and prevent buyers from buying only one side and leaving the seller with a much more difficult to sell and less valuable single side only.

Also, how many buyers will think of or search for these pairings as "custom" parts? Not many. And pairing them in the catalog won't prevent you or anyone else from using them in any custom assemblies.
  • Perhaps pn = 50304pr where the part number refers to the lowest value or base part of the pairing? Hence windows would be paired with glass using the window number.

HOWEVER...

There are several cross pairings where a piece of glass works with several windows or a tire works with several wheels and vice versa. Would you then start to create 12345pr02, etc.?

Or maybe something completely unique like the basilisk?

Personally, I don't care if you buy all my right wedges and leave the lefts. The LotR Wargs set threw evenness of wedges to the wind.

Brian
  • It is enough if the catalog paired only items that have one combination together - like right and left wedges and wedge plates. It can still keep the individual listings as well for those who want to list separately.

• Also, how many buyers will think of or search for these pairings as "custom" parts? Not many.

You may be missing what I'm saying. The Custom structure that exists now allows you to do precisely what you are looking for. You can create your own pair of these parts, and the pair is then available for any seller to list. Buyers don't need to searcch for custom parts to find the pair -- they would just need to search for anything that you include in the description or tags for the catalog listing.
  • Yes, I did miss your point. Perhaps because I am still so used to how things are done on BL. I want these items to be searchable under the part numbers for them. You can't do that on BL. But I will take a closer look here to see how this works.