Excessive Brazilian Customs Fees - A Buyer's Story

Hello,

I recently encountered a troubling experience when sending an order from the EU to Brazil, prompting me to share this real-life cautionary tale with you all. The following message from a valued and long-time buyer details the exorbitant import taxes imposed by local authorities, raising questions about the fairness of such practices:

---------------
Greetings,

I'm afraid I was forced by the local tax authorities not to accept this order. The corrupt and incompetent local tax authorities answering to a corrupt government took the total value of the purchase (36 EUR) and multiplied it by the total number of unitary items (33) and charged 60% import tax on top of that. This meant that a 36 EUR purchase yielded an insane 713 EUR import tax, which is preposterous.
On top of this, they wanted to charge a 17% interstate merchandise circulation tax, since all international post is delivered to another state and then delivered to the state where I live. I requested a tax review, provided all the necessary proof and documentation from BrickOwl and PayPal, but they denied my request and demanded I pay the absurd incorrect value. You have no idea how revolted I am.
I have refused the order and it should be returned to you in about 2 months or more.
I apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind regards
(Buyer)
---------------

Now, the ball is slowly coming back into our court. It's ironic that even returned goods have to be cleared by EU Customs, which will incur additional costs, albeit hopefully not as high as in this case. In the past, we've faced situations where the cost of customs procedures outweighed the value of returned goods, leading us to opt out and have the parcels destroyed.

I'm curious to know if any of you have faced similar challenges. Is this an isolated incident or a broader issue affecting others? Share your thoughts, experiences, and advice on navigating customs regulations in international transactions.

Best regards,
Goran/PikkaBrikka team

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I once had a €300+ parcel returned from China without it costing me Import VAT or Duty. They have to go through customs, sure, but surely there shouldn't be any import fees as technically the good originated in the EU (or if they didn't, they've already been levied).