Catalog name feedback

I wanted to get some feedback in relation to naming preferences, for example in a category like cats https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-parts/animal/land/cat?variant_type=0

Which do people prefer out of the following? Or other options I haven't thought of

Cat with Red Collar
Cat with Blue Collar

Standing Cat with Red Collar
Standing Cat with Blue Collar

Cat - Standing with Red Collar
Cat - Standing with Blue Collar

Cat (Standing) with Red Collar
Cat (Standing) with Blue Collar

Cat, Standing with Red Collar
Cat, Standing with Blue Collar

Cat, Standing, Red Collar
Cat, Standing, Blue Collar

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Number five for definite.

It follows the way I would search and describes the item well. The grammar also flows better than 3, 4 and 6 which have the same descriptors.
  • Wouldn't the search results dictate which should be chosen. If I had the piece in my hand and wanted to add it I would use "Cat Red Collar".

Tyson.
  • 6. I think you will get into trouble with "with" for any number of reasons.

3, sort of 4, and 5. are particularly poor English grammar. "Cat standing with Red Collar" is not the same as "Cat with Red Collar standing". The former implies the cat can't stand without the use of a collar; the latter implies the cat is wearing the collar.

I'd try for some sort of consistency a la taxonomy: animal, (character name if available), position, decoration(s).

Cat, Mo, standing, mohawk, collar, sunglasses

There aren't so many cats that any one is particularly difficult to match a piece-existing-in-hand simply by using drilldown and color.

However, if your goal is to find all cats with pink ears and black noses, then that's a whole other level of data and would need a fairly verbose description for every cat along with some associated back end logic to correctly associate a color with a feature. Current data has some cats with pink noses noted, other cats with pink noses not noted, none of the cats with black noses are noted as such…

Cat, Mo, standing, orange mohawk, orange collar, black sunglasses.

A text search for "Cat orange sunglasses" will probably return the above, which is not what you are necessarily trying to find.

A text search for "Cat black collar" will probably return the above, which is not what you are necessarily trying to find, either.

Wanting the text to "read nicely" is different than text "providing accurate search results" so I guess part of it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
  • 2 for me, it's simple and straight to the point.
  • I believe that the item name should be unique, concise, and easy to read. Any additional useful information that doesn't fit in the name can be included in the form of tags.
  • I prefer option 6. Easy to read. Easy to amend if more variations, e.g. cat, standing, red collar, green hat. (I made this up!)