Is Brick Owl more open to goodwill, reason, and tolerance than that other site?

Pat(rick) chiming in for the first time ever on Brick Owl. My profile says that I registered here 51 months (4y 3m) ago.

That site which shall not be named has - in my view - become inundated with defensive corporatism, favoritism, judgementalism, bullying, vitriol, trolling, and toxicity. It is clearly no longer the site I first registered with 23 years ago. What I would like to know, with all honesty welcome, is whether I can come to Brick Owl and leave all that behind me. I'm desperately seeking refuge.

I'll confess (if it indeed be a crime); I'm wordy. It's just who I am. It astonishes - floors - me that seemingly intelligent adults are not only intimidated by clear, complete, grammatically correct sentences employing words above a 7th-grade reading level, but that they're openly hostile and sarcastic in their reactions, and that their vitriolic behavior is more welcome in the other site's Forums than my sentence structure is. It doesn't matter - at least not anymore - that I treat everyone with equal acceptance and respect.

Provided that Brick Owl can prove to be a fresh start for me, and I'm not shunned, I'll gladly begin the process of transferring my store inventory. I can promise everyone reading this post two things: 1) I have no negative baggage to bring with me, and so I won't, and 2) When I address you or post in the Brick Owl Forum, it is not my intention to talk down to you or intimidate you simply because I choose to use my writing abilities in the process. I'm an English major graduate and a professional writer; I mean no offense, and I don't venture into politics.

I'd welcome any questions regarding my desire to cross over and would gladly regard them as part of a probationary interview. I've nothing whatsoever to hide. I just hope I get an "A".

Regards,
- EH ("Pat")

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Pat, welcome (if indeed it counts as such after you've been registered here for over four years :) ) to Brick Owl! I can't speak for selling on BL as I have never done so. That doesn't mean I've never bought from there - after all it has been around a lot longer than BO and sometimes it's the only source of parts I'm after.

I've found selling on BO to be a straightforward process. Most, but not all, parts have weights and dimensions so setting up shipping bands makes checkout that much easier - no waiting for an invoice. Feedback is welcome but not mandatory (and certainly not demanded) and runs to about 20-30% of orders. I take the approach that if there is no contact from the customer that all is good and they will let me know if there's a problem.

The catalog is improving all the time and you can help with submitting images, dimensions, tags (keywords) to facilitate better searching. It's not perfect (but then neither is BL's).

The forum here is by and large a friendly place with quite a few people willing to chip in and help if you have questions. Recurring themes crop up regularly so a quick search on the forum often provides answers.

Admin is pretty good too and will usually reply fairly swiftly, either having been contacted through the site or by answering on the forum.

Hope this helps you a little bit. I'm sure they'll be others chipping in!

James
  • Thank you James. Your kind words mean a lot right now.
  • Hi pat. We are both in our sixties and selling our Lego we have had for years. Just to make some money. As our grandkids are not interested in it. We have found people in the forum very helpful and polite. We are not Lego boffins and ask for help from time to time. Jay37 has been a great help to us. He has a lot of good advice. We find bl a pain in the butt at times. We have never sold on bl and don’t intend to. Hope this helps. And all the best on selling here. Will wait for you to correct my grammar 🤣.
  • Thank you for the kind words, Neil. I am not a grammar N...er, goosestepper. But I suspect you knew that. ;) Incidentally, your exceptional spelling probably puts you in the top 10% of Americans.