Anyone used myhermes for posting in the UK?

edited March 2014 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
Anyone used myhermes for posting in the UK?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've used them a fair bit. Cheaper than Royal Mail for parcels.
    You can track the order too. I've never had a problem.
  • I used them a dozen or so times when I sold some large sets last year. No complaints from customers. They always turned up for collections, so no complaints from me either.
  • Usually for items sold on feeBay, from a sender's perspective they're all right.
  • In one word horrid! Especially on the receiving end - I've had packages thrown in a puddle by the front door.

Try Interparcel - they are a shipping agent - you can get UPS very cheap

-- this was before I moved a year ago, so it may be different…

Also other agents are Parcel2go, Parcel Monkey and more however I always went thru Interparcel - due to the deal with UPS
  • Reviews online aren't great, but I've given them a try!
  • I normally read the forum at Brickset.com, and everytime I read Hermes, it either is an unhappy customer, or someone surprised that their package arrived well (since they are used to Hermes ruining them). That's why I wouldn't use them.

Then again, you are not going to write about how well someone delivered your package, so who knows if this is 1 out of 100,000.
  • The delivery drivers operate out of their private homes and get a break bulk delivery of parcels. It seems some of those bulk drivers are in a hurry to offload and if it is raining the packets can get wet as private houses tend not to have proper unloading bays.... we've had some very soggy boxes. Our local delivery driver is however very reliable but that is just our local experience.

Robert
  • Is this one of those new companies that use "self-employed" delivery agents? It's a complete nonsense and is simply a way of evading employment legislation such as that which allows for annual leave entitlement, redundancy, minimum wage etc. That aside, the service you get from such companies tends to depend on how happy the local driver is with the arrangement. Those who earn a decent living will be happy, those who don't won't be.

• I've had a lot of experience with all the couriers thru my ebay sales (now defunct)
    If I recall Hermes pay drivers 20-30p per delivered package - with "oversize" at 50p - you are required to provide your own transport - which if you want to stay legal you need a commercial policy = very expensive, I doubt any of their drivers have this (as you say **sort of** self employed) - most of the drivers are imports from foreign lands… well you get the picture.

For the extra £1 - £2, UPS are without a doubt the best option, DHL are OK as are TNT/City Link

… then there is Parcel Farce (deliberate misspelling!) - little better than Hermes
  • Not sure if they were Hermes or not but I dealt with many such drivers at the tax office, working as self-employed with a franchise. Many earned enough to employ others while some barely earned enough to pay National Insurance never mind Income Tax.

30p per parcel is a joke if true, given what they're charging the end-user for the service. It shows how desperate people are for employment I suppose.