Brick Art Instructor - iOS App for Mosaic Maker/DC Batman Lego Art

Hello everyone,

I‘m new to the forum and I hope this is the correct place for this topic.
In the past weeks I‘ve written an iOS app to generate instructions for custom mosaic maker/DC Batman lego artworks (kinda like https://www.brickapic.com/index.php, though I only discovered that 80% through my progress :D ).
The DC Batman Art Collection set triggered my interest in having something individual, from another franchise I like more, but unfortunately I‘m lazy and I didn‘t want to figure out by hand which colors would apply best, how many I need and how to put them on the 16x16 base plates included in the set. So here I am with a solution for my problem which I want to share with others who might share my interest (or are interested in programming/FOSS, etc.)

The app is called „Brick Art Instructor“ and is available on iPhone and iPad (iOS 16 or newer) (Android is on my bucket list though)
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/brick-art-instructor/id6474090733?l=en-GB

Brick Art Instructor allows you to select a image file and define the area of which an artwork should be generated. Based on some additional options (like different lego set color palettes) it generates a preview for the lego brick colors, a list of bricks needed (no part list yet, color and amount only) and a list of instructions for each 16x16 plate in your artwork, which can be exported to pdf.
At the moment it only provides the canvas part of an artwork and frame or passepartout need to be build from other set instructions, though this might be a small constraint for creative minds ;)
The app comes with some sample images (thanks to Dall-E 3) to start fiddling around.

The Brick Art Instructor app is free and available on iOS and iPad
The app does not collect any data, neither of your interactions with the app, the contents you create or the instructions you create. Whatever you do with the Brick Art Instructor is yours (though I‘m eager to see what others would like to have as artwork). You may be sharing usage data with Apple, depending on your personal device and account settings.

I invite anyone interested to download it and use it, give me feedback (either here or on github) or simply have a chat about it.
I‘ve attached two sample instructions for illustration of the possible results (not yet build, but scheduled for the next days).

Some more words about the app (or: more technical/project bla bla):
My main goal, as mentioned above, was to solve my conflict between laziness and the desire for other lego art. I‘m on track with this one, I think.

Another part is to improve my understanding of the Swift programming language and the Apple app ecosystem. I got hooked on the Swift Playground app which allows me to code on my iPad and I wanted to see how war I can come developing and publishing an app with only this device. I‘m quite happy with the results on this so far, although I started working on a macbook for upcoming macOS and Android versions.

As of now, the app is only available on iOS and I‘m looking into options to port it at least to Android or convert to a platform-agnostic web app. I can‘t give an estimate how long that might take.

I intend Brick Art Instructor to be an app, I as a developer have no control over or business with as soon as it is installed on your device. I don‘t want to worry about privacy when using small apps and utilities and I don‘t want you to worry neither. (This doesn‘t apply if you build it your own, that‘s none of my business at all :wink:)

At last, I want to keep the whole thing an open source, free for anyone utility, what is, which brings me joy in working on it.
The project is available on github under GPL-3.0:
https://github.com/TobiasPott/SwiftPG-BrickArtInstructor (project repository)
https://github.com/TobiasPott/SwiftPG-BAICore (is the pure Swift Playground repository)
Everyone is welcome to dig into it, derive it, contribute or pick it up as a start for learning programming (feel free to ask for help, I‘m glad to help).

Let me know what you think and what you make of it.

I believe, a little joy given, can go a long way.