Compensation for damaged box

Hi everyone,

I've had my first damaged box during shipment in the 3 years that I'm active as a seller now. The customer asks for a compensation (which is correct, of course). He's asking for a 50 % discount of the original value of the set.

The set was a Star Wars 75336 BD-1 set. My question for you is what do you think a valid percentage would be. The box was banged up pretty good.

Thanks!

Koen
Koen's Space Port

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How did you post the item? Would you be able to claim for damages from courier???
  • Yes, the shipment was insured and packed correctly: wrapped in bubble plastic, double - sided carton shipping box. It got damaged because something heavy was placed on the box.
    But it's not so much about my own loss (I'm covered by insurance), but allowing 50 % discount would mean the guy gets a new - sealed (with damaged box) 75335 set for 36 Eur.
  • I'd say that the compensation would be only justified on the amount that they would have to spend to get a new box (plenty in BL).

Another thing is... Was it MISB set or just a set with the original box? If it was MISB, then I would get it, but in that scenario I actually don't know how to respond... And from your given price range, I think it was a MISB set, so... The customer did not get what he wished for. Looks like a simple cancel in this whole trade would be more reasnoable - return the set and cover the shipping. It's not like you could generate a new MISB set no matter how much you would pay.
  • Good point! It was sold as a MISB set and we offered a full refund if he was willing to return the product (on our cost of course). But he doesn't want to and wants instead a compensation of 50 % which feels like too much, but that's just a feeling hence my post on the forum to get some anchor points.
  • 50% compensation is a bit steep when looking at the prices in general. For set prices I do the comparison in BL and it doesn't make any sense to sell the new set (without box) for 36€. Even used sets go for a higher price than that. Even 45€+shipping for that set would be a bargain. But that is just my opinion again =). As a customer, I'd be happy to go for the return option + a little 5% coupon for the hassle of repacking the set and I'd still be able to "hunt" for another MISB set.