New categories

Just to let you know, we recently added some new subcategories to the system.

Animal / Land now has subcategories of cat, dog, horse, other
Minifig / Accessory now has subcategories of food and drink, foot, hand tool, music, other
Duplo now has subcategories of blanket, door & window
Door & Window now has subcategory of classic window
Vehicle has a new subcategory of other

Over the past few weeks, we have been working to clear up some of the naming and categorisation. Over the past 10 years as many new parts have been created, this has become a little messy. Additionally, some categories have become very large so we want to split them up a bit.

We would welcome any discussion on new subcategories that should be created, or help moving/naming things

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What determines a part going to classic window? Is it age or something in the description?
  • Mainly age, and they were mostly already called "classic" in our catalog
  • Looking at the Other category I would suggest some new categories to make Other as small as possible:

Shooter or Shooting would gather all shooters, cannons, projectiles, etc
    Stairs, Ladder, Bridge & Slide
    Plastic to accommodate Sails, Flags, Tents etc
    Hook
    Magnet

Also:

Garage Roller, Garage Gate could maybe move to Door category?
    Levers could maybe move to Antenna & Bar?
  • On the category Scenery, maybe there could be new subcategories, namely:

Flower & Plant
    Fence
    Rock
    Flag & (Road) Signs
  • Regarding your second message, could you clarify? There is already a plant and fence and rock category
  • My apologies, I only looked at the images, not at the subcategories (I've also repeated Magnet and Hook on my first post).
  • edited November 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Ah okay. I've moved Garage as that's a good idea thank you. I'll have a think about the others
  • Under Parts>Minifig>Heads could we please get "Standard" in addition to "Non-Standard"?

Also under Parts>Minifig>Legs if something could be done there to thin that out: Standard, Friends (and maybe not now but eventually pants/skirts/dresses or something), Non-Standard (ghost, mermaid, pegleg).
  • edited November 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yes, I will create a standard head category, that is a good idea. However, I realise why you are asking for that. In our search system, we de-prioritise stickered and decorated parts. However, this also applies to browsing, and then all of the decorated heads were being buried below the non-standard heads. I have now reduced the de-prioritisation of decorated for browsing.
  • Thanks. Really I just want to not have to sort through snake heads and block heads when all I want is the regular 3626 type head. Before one could find the odd shape ones exclusive of the normal shape ones, but not the opposite.

Same deal with the legs.
  • Just seen this after posting earlier re changing Minifigure Feet Accessories sub-cat to Sports as that covers skis and boards and expands the category to ‘other’ items.

Overall, like the new sub-categories and the moves but have some suggestions based on how I sort my personal lego store (not my shop!). In no particular order…

1. I have ‘cones’, ‘domes’ and ‘cylinders’ together. This includes the Cones category, some Round Bricks and the Cylinders category (which seems to have hemispheres in it too that I would describe as ‘domes’ to avoid mathematical jargon).

2. The Container category includes cupboards and other furniture items but doesn’t seem appropriate for all furniture items that may currently be here (e.g. a bath) or in a Themed Parts sub-cat. I’d consider a separate Furniture category.

3. I put non-electric ‘motors’ with large Vehicle parts. The current sub-cat Electric & Pneumatic > Motor > LEGO Non-Electric Motors is confusing.

4. I agree with the suggestion above to combine the sub-cats Ladder, Stairs and Slide.

5. I’d combine the Fabric category and Foam sub-cat to make a new Fabric & Foam category.

6. There are many parts in the Minifigure category that don’t actually fit with standard minifigures. The simplest example is all the Friends figures as Friends torsos don’t fit on standard legs etc. I realise that this category is perhaps the most difficult and could be split in so many ways. I will try to explain my suggestion:
    a) one category called Minifigure Parts and within this subcategories for Minifigure Heads and Minidoll (Friends) Heads etc. so that the two main types of minifigure can be separated. There are also various Micro figures that may fit here too?
    b) a second category called simply Accessories. This could include sub-categories such as those currently in Minifig > LEGO Minifig Accessories as well as those sub-cats currently called Clothing and Weapons for example. And this could also combine the LEGO Minifigure Food & Drink Accessories and LEGO Food Parts in one sub-category here.

7. I think the Arm category needs to go. Most of this is Homemaker figure parts and a couple of pieces that may fit with Hinges?

8. The Decorated sub-categories can be inconsistent and confusing. For example, in Slopes, some decorated curved slopes are in Slopes-Curved-Decorated while are just in Slopes-Decorated.

Finally, when suggesting parts are moved to different categories in the Edit tab, the drop-down list doesn’t seem to match the current category navigation.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful in some way!