Help me grok search on BO

I am having the hardest time understanding how search works on BO. I wanted to find standard 2 x 3 bricks but only sets were found with the search of the catalog with "2 x 3 brick" what am I doing wrong?

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited November 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    hmm that's strange... this is what I get when i search for "2 x 3 brick". It does seem like for some reason you might have put quotation marks in the search bar. That might be the problem.
  • If you search with quotes that’ll do an exact search. If you want to find the actual 2 x 3 brick then you’re better doing it without quotes
  • Make sure you have the search order set to 'default'.
  • @Lawrence, I understand but then that gives the results that @CodeSoka posted including irrelevant items (yes, they have brick in the name, but these aren't the bricks I am looking for.)

IMO, this may be one of the issues new customers find challenging on BO vs BL, search the catalog on BL for Bricks 2 x 3 and it only shows 2 x 3 bricks, not 1 x 1 bricks, not 1 x 2 bricks, etc.
  • @CodeSoka , thank you, I was just about to reply that I found it. However, as you see in my image on my first post, it is set that way.
    Yes, to be honest, I'm not sure why that option is relevant in this case. I just took @Hoddie s word for it. :smiley:
  • to clarify on the search result. For starters when doing a search, you do not need to write brick. The size will be enough, in this case 2x3.

Now about why you get so many results, is because with search, you get a result for the brick number as well.
    So you get the 1x2 brick, because the brick number is 3023 for instance, or with the other bricks showing, having either 2 or 3 in the number.

So it is a "broader" search result. Maybe something that is not always needed.
  • @Malnaborg 2 x 3 would then bring up more items if I exclude brick. It will bring up plates, tiles, slopes, etc. That is exactly what I am trying to eliminate. To my programmer mind, it does not make sense.

With you explanation on the other results, I have found "2 x 3" does the trick on those items.
  • I say it because over the years, most search issues are because the user does not have 'default' selected. I did not look at your image. Usually for common pieces, 'most viewed' is a good option to use.
  • Our search is more tailored towards people trying to search without knowing exact terms, rather than the BL style of being for users who already know the exact name. Usually what you want should be at the top of the page. Saying that, if you search "brick 2 x 3" youll get a better result than "2 x 3 brick"
  • I also struggle in my searches. When searching for technic connector (default mode), I would expect to see all the parts belonging to that category first. Maybe the option Category in the drop down menu would help?

When searching for tile 1x1, tiles 1x2 and 1x4 appear before tile 1x1 modified/rounded. When I select Name in the drop down menu, I get slopes.
  • You can search using quotes if you only want to return exact matches. Unfotunately search is always a difficult thing as different people use it in different ways. Tailoring towards one persons needs makes it worse for others
  • @MacsBricks

The search function at BrickOwl, using generic terms e.g., 2x3 brick, or brick 2x3 or "brick 2x3" is something less than optimal and more often than not does not return what one would expect, and quite often returns things that are so far off the mark as to be comical. Searching for 2 x 3 red brick returns 31 items none of which are a 2 x 3 red brick. Searching for "2 x 3 red brick" returns zero results. There's room for improvement.

What the top search field does do well is to find things by LEGO's element and part numbers. So, if you put your nerd hat on and type "3002" into the search box, then use the sidebar navigation to refine your results, that works pretty well. It can be a bunch of clicks, but I find that I can generally get to what I want relatively quickly that way.

The other route is to go drilldown. Start with the left side nav bar, select Parts, then Bricks, then Standard and pick the 2 x 3 from the results. From that page you can get to the specific colors or printed or stickered or whatever.

The drilldown is cumulative, so if you go Parts > Brick > Decorated / Color > Green that refines results as you go. There's a "clear" link that shows up in the section head if you want to blow out one or more parameters.

Aside: @Lawrence I'm noticing with the drilldown that Parts>Bricks>Decorated / Color>Green yields six results (2 printed, 4 stickered) and Parts>Bricks / Variant>Decorated / Color>Green yields 4 stickered. So In the top portion "Decorated" means all the decorated items and in the Variant section "Decorated" means Printed. I suggest changing "Decorated" to "Printed" in the Variant section. End Aside.

It is a different way of thinking, but I find the drilldown to be pretty effective. And you can kind of back up and go in a different direction without having to start all over, which can be a benefit.

The search function here certainly is not particularly helpful or useful for newbies, and shy of Lawrence deciding to do things differently, I suspect it kind of is just gonna be what it is. And what it is is frustrating and will cause folks to go elsewhere where typing in 2x3 red brick yields a 2x3 red brick. I don't know where that is…BL, Rebrickable, Brickset…none of them return a 2x3 red brick either. I do know that after two or three failed attempts folks are going to bail.

I gave up on using generic search terms in a dialog a long time ago. Try the drilldown.
  • Oops. Forgot the pic.
    I took another look and it seems the "bestselling" influencer on the search had got out of control so i've reduced that which helps with the amount of "irellevant but popular" items appearing. I'll have a look another time to see if i can increase the influence of stud sizes
  • Thank you Lawrence. I tried that with "tile 1x1" (default mode) and the results were good. "brick 2x3" not bad either. But when I search for "technic liftarm" I only get this (image)
  • ^ My bad. I should search for "technic beam". Apologies.

Yes, Mark, I agree, the drilldown works nicely. I use it most of the time as well.
    If you search technic liftarm you should still get somewhat reasonable results, as all beams should have liftarm as a tag on them
  • @ForeverSorting if you leave out the quotation marks in the search field you get a bigger spread of hits
  • As @jay37 says the quotation marks are the issue, the search is correctly returning the only item we have with the exact term "technic liftarm". If you do it without the quotes, it can then take account of the tags on the items, and it will then return the beams as we call them.
  • Roger that. Thank you for assisting.