No "Select all stores" available any more in BO magic

What happened to the option to select all stores when using Brick Owl magic? I can select individual stores one by one, but I do not have an option to select all the store any more. This was a very useful feature to see, which stores offered the most of the needed parts as cheap as they come...

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I removed this as I realised it was confusing users. The wish list magic tool doesn’t work very well if a large amount of stores are selected, as it tries to allocate to all those stores.
  • So now only way to select all is to tick them one by one (which is insanely long process with 1000+ parts...) ? Or is there a "backdoor" way to still select them all?
  • Generally we wouldn’t advise trying to select all the stores, as the system won’t work properly. It works best when only a few stores are selected
  • I kind of liked it and I was a frequent user of that feature. This means that now it would be quite rare for me to find new stores and I'd mostly stick to ones that I've done business before. So two bad things have resulted in this:
    - no easy way to find a cheapest seller of multiple parts;
    - not easy for new stores wiht small selection of lots to make income here even though they might have good prices.
  • If it was only disable due to buyers messing up, then a loud note should be sufficent for buyers to simply use it at your own risk and be aware that mistakes may happen.
  • edited October 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    This goes well into my own post, about more / new options when using the wishlist magic.

As i have mentioned i too would like to have more options when using this function. And i too am sad to see that option being disabled. Since it now makes it even more hard to "allocate" the parts.

Lawrence, are there in any way a possibility to make the search function of the wishlist magic better, or bigger in terms of "computer-power" when using this ?

This is by the way my post:
    https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/15367/expanded-store-conditions
  • I'm not sure if that means something, but for reference within the last 30 days I have made 25 orders containing 1000+ items in 500+ lots... In other words - I use it a lot and if something isn't available in my favourite stores, then it is kind of a headache to find next store to buy from...
  • @Lawrence

So would there be any solution to this ? Or is the wishlist buying form done as it is ?
    I would be very sad to see it in the state it is now. It has made the work of working with the "wishlist-MAGIC" less..... well Magic. :-/
  • Unfortunately I still don't really understand. The wishlist tool has never worked well when doing "select all", as it tries to allocated to all those stores, often with one lot per store. It works best when only a few stores are selected
  • And that is why we ask for more options to "search" from.

To make the "buying/choosing" of stores better. I would rather "deselect" a few stores than needing to click x amount of store until everything is allocated.

or, it could help with an options to decline stores with fixed amount to buy for, since they can make the buying process hard, as to "find" those stores we can buy, only those bricks we need, and not needed to buy for a specific amount. Or need to find a new store altogether where there is no limit.

At least in my view, and it looks like others as well, it is simply to difficult to find stores easy enough to use that wishlist-magic.
  • Yeah, I don't mind un-ticking the store that do not fall under my preferences (stores with quote only option, with some lot average and etc.) I know that the wishlist magic wasn't perfect and had it's flaws, but it wasn't all that bad.

Right now the wishlist magic isn't, as Malnaborg said, not very Magic. And I must admit that I did my first spare part order from BrickLink due to this thing... I have never bought any spares from BrickLink, but right now the wishlist magic is more usable there than it is here.

A simple option to improve the wishlist magic would be to have an option for example to automatically exclude all stores that do not have shipping methods set (quote option only). That would already improve the magic a lot.

To give a hint, how I shop spares at the moment here in BO:

I have a list of 130 lots of spares with the total amount of about 450 pieces.
    1. I open the wishlist magic and then tick with the painfully slow process the stores that have been lucky to make it into my favourite store list in the past (about 20 stores).
    2. I check the parts that have not been allocated and then with every individual piece I need to check, who sells it at the cheapest price and then tick that store in the wishlist (only to discover that they have some strange lot average set and need to tick the next one).
    3. I repeat the process until I have everything allocated.
    4. Then I need to start "eliminating" stores who have some pieces at a very high price (may be due to condition of being new or is somewhat rare or something) and see with every that kind of piece after many clicks of being able to open the BO market of that specific spare and check what stores sell it cheaper.
    5. Again tick some stores where that specific part is cheaper... Then I discover that now some of my favourite store minimum price has not been reached and I need to do some manual evaluation again...

In the past I just selected all and if there was something wrong with some store, then I un-ticked it and continued until I found the sweetspot between cheapest parts and total transportation. Yeah, sometimes a lot of unticking was necessary where, yeah, some stores only "shined" with one specific lot of cheap spares, but at least I was aware of that store and so on...
  • Ah, so I had intended for people to use the tool by selecting the stores with the highest count of needed lots, only needing to select maybe 3-10 stores. But it sounds like rather you go through the very large list of stores, selecting stores you prefer, ignoring how many needed lots they may have?
  • That is actually a good point P6tu

It really is a whole "search and find" adventure.
    With my store as being set oriented, i often search and order very specific bricks, and even so in very small numbers. So i too often look after stores with specific pieces, hence the lot price, minimum buy, is a pain for me.

So as P6tu writes, the "pick all stores" was actually a good starting point, again because "the magic" :-D
    Found the stores for me, and then i could on my own, shorten the shopping list of stores.
    Maybe we are a small part of the community, but at least for some of us, i would do a lot to get those specific search possibilities. :-)
  • Okay, well I've put it back, with a tooltip explaining it may not work well. I've also limited the list of stores shown to 100 for now. This should speed things up.

The "select all" never really worked as you might have expected, because the system couldn't actually allocate to 900 stores.
  • Aah, this is joy =). Only thing that I could wish for right now, would be the option to filter out the stores with "Quote only" shipping option.
  • But it is a lot better already. Maybe we could increase the limit to 200 stores since that 100 is very quick and maybe even too quick for me already (I'm used to waiting maany seconds :P).
  • edited October 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi. So I was playing around with the magic today and seems like this limit of 100 stores is a bit counterintuitive.

Right now, I use the "select all stores" option and then start to un-tick the stores that I do not like to see, but then to select new stores from the bottom, then I can do that only by placing a tick on those stores one-by-one again, because if I click on the "select all" option again, then it will undo all the un-ticking that I did...

@Lawrence , could we remove the 100 store cap or add this option to remove those with quote
  • The limit is in place to keep things quick. As mentioned the tool is not designed for the workflow of using "select all". If we were to remove that limit and pre-remove all quote stores it would be very slow. With larger wishlists it can even timeout.
  • Not to put any pressure on, but could we increase the list up to 300 stores? Right now some of my favourite stores get left out :( ...
  • I must say, i will not be using the select all stores. I tried with one of my smaller wishlist, and i do not see the function with it.

I am more than happy with the possibility to deselect those stores with minimum buy. That was a big wish for me, and will surely make it easier for me at least.
This discussion has been closed.