Denied party/entity

How would you handle this? I shipped a package in March to Spain. It was returned with a lack of customs deceleration statement. 'Small toy parts' was apparently not enough even though the package hadn't been opened. Okay, my fault for not giving enough detail. So I reship with 'Small electronics for toys, no batteries'. The package was returned yesterday for 'failed to meet export regulations and name matches denied party/entity'. After lifting the green sticker from USPS I can see that the name of the buyer is circled in red wax pencil, think David Smith of common names. I took the package to the USPS depot and asked what I did wrong and how to correct for future reference and was told that this has to do with the person receiving the package and nothing I do will get the item through customs.

I emailed the buyer letting them know the package was returned the first time and never got a response. I've now emailed them again letting them know what the customs rejection was. How would you handle this from here? Obviously the parts will be refunded, but how do i handle the refund on the shipping if their name is the issue? What about the VAT? Should I subtract the second shipping cost out of the refund? What is my obligation with this?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would say you have done a great part from your end to "clear" the error.

I have seen a lot of post lately about buyers not answering when we write to them. I would check the buyer account to see how old it is. Sometimes new buyers come for 1 order and never visit the site again. Even so check the email daily.

So i would give it some days maybe, and if you hear nothing, hold the payment back, maybe the buyer writes to you whenever they notice that they have not gotten the shipment.