What are Acceptable "Custom" Items?

edited July 2013 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
Admin, please let us know what are and are not acceptable "custom" items to list on BO. For example:

1. Are chromed parts OK? What if it is a part already chromed by LEGO?

2. How about home-made "custom" copies of already existing but rare or expensive LEGO parts, such as white 6x5 plant leaves, green cypress trees, brown standard capes, and light gray monorail tracks?

3. What about "custom" minifigures or sets of licensed themes such as Star Wars, Hello Kitty, Star Trek, James Bond, etc?

My own personal opinion - not that it is worth much in the grand scheme of things - is that ONLY genuine LEGO parts should be allowed (especially if it is something LEGO makes or has already made sometime in the past). It simply is not fair to sellers of the rare genuine part that private home-made "custom" clones be allowed to destroy the value of their inventory. That plus the fact that clone-making has gotten so good that it will often be confusing and difficult even for AFOLs to tell the difference between the genuine part and the "custom" copy.

As for sets and minifigures, I do not think BO should allow "custom" creations of licensed themes. Instead, only original truly custom sets and minifigures should be allowed. It is one thing to make a custom Batman minifigure for your own personal use and enjoyment. It is completely another to churn out dozens or hundreds of copies and then offer them for sale. Legally, if LEGO needs a license to sell Star Wars or James Bond sets or minifigures, so does everyone else. BO is risking legal problems if it knowingly allows infringing merchandise to be sold here. It also cheapens this site in the eyes of many if infringing customs become common here.

Anyways, that is my 2 cents, or $300 an hour if you have to discuss this with an attorney or defend yourself against any infringement claim.

Thor