Import tax

Hi all I have a customer who has been charged import tax. The tax number brickowl say must be included on the customs form was on the form. Who is responsible for the payment. Does the customer have to claim it back from their customs.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I assume they are in the EU or Norway? They would have paid the import tax at the point of ordering and although this shows on the order, BO is responsible for paying this to the relevant authorities, so you don't have to do anything. I'm not sure the customer can 'claim it back' as it's now a standard of trading with the EU.

If they've been charged a second time that could be an additional import tax based on the order's value (i.e. over a certain value they may have to pay again), and this has been in place for years and applies worldwide.
  • @Jay37 they have been charged a second time. They are in Belgium the value was £14. Thanks for the info
  • @Neiljones could you confirm how you digitally provided the IOSS number on the order? Or was it just written on a CN22 form on the outside of the package?
  • @Lawrence it was hand written like all the others we have sent on the outside of the parcel.
  • The IOSS number needs to be digitally provided as mentioned on the order. If it’s written on the outside it won’t work and the customer may be charged again. We aren’t able to refund the the tax portion of the order, so you would need to work with the customer to resolve the situation. Going forwards you must provide the IOSS information digitally, for example using Click & Drop
  • @Neiljones I have started to do all of my postage (including domestic) online at https://send.royalmail.com/ and you can do it even if you don't have a printer as you are provided with a QR code for the post office to print for you. Entering IOSS numbers is straightforward and the system knows which countries this applies to. Highly recommended!
  • @Neiljones You must provide the IOSS number digitally on all orders to EU customers. You can do this using a variety of methods, such as Click & Drop, Royal Mail Send, or other online shipping platforms.
  • Ah, this is good information. I had to order from out of EU and encountered this same issue. The numbers were all on the package, but seems that the digital information was not presented to whomever it was needed and I almost had to pay the tax again. Luckily the customs worker was very helpful and with showing all the documentation I was able to get the parcel without the extra double VAT payment. This should be somehow maybe enforced to have the IOSS number digitally provided?
  • Sadly, the danish customs have not been that kind.
    But yes, it truly should be maybe highlighted somehow in the order page, when viewed as the shop.

Something special attention with this shipping method. ;-)
    But glads you got it without needing to pay extra. I am still struggling with a package that i bought back in August :-/