Rubber Bands, Capes and Strings - Shipping in Original Sleeves?

Hello,

A first-time buyer who recently received his first order complained that the Thin String 50cm Long (23198 / 31865) arrived without the original packaging:

"It came without a little cardboard box it should've come in if it was truly new. I don't doubt that string itself wrapped around a piece of cardboard is new and I understand that it was probably easier to ship it that way, but if I ordered a brand new part, it should come as such."

Now, items like strings, capes, and rubber bands typically come in those small cardboard boxes or sleeves, and we completely understand the expectation for customers to receive them that way.

However, in our pursuit of competitive pricing, we unpack strings from their original packaging – sometimes even a few grams can lead to noticeable differences in shipping costs – but we always retain the original cardboard spool and secure it in a zip-bag to maintain its integrity. This is our standard operating procedure, and this is the first time we've encountered this specific concern.

It's worth noting that the catalog weight of 1.2g only accounts for the string and the cardboard spool, without factoring in the packaging. This raises a question about whether the box or sleeve should be considered a part of the "New" item.

Moreover, complications arise when various items, like different capes or rubber belts, are bundled within a single cardboard box or sleeve. In these cases, we absolutely must unpack them to ensure accurate order fulfillment.

So, here's our question for you: How do you approach this situation in your own experiences? Do you lean towards unpacking items to minimize costs, or do you strive to maintain the original packaging whenever possible? Your insights would be incredibly valuable to us.

Best regards,

PikkaBrikka Team

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I leave them packed but if weight becomes an issue, I would unpack them.

It's worth noting while I'm here that some strings and rubber bands are provided by Lego in different formats - sometimes the same rubber band can come in a box or wound around a rubber band holder, the same string can come in a box or loose in a bag with another item.

As sellers we are selling the item, not the packaging. BL now has two entries, the boxed rubber band, and the rubber band. Until and unless BO goes down the same path, here we only sell the rubber band.
  • We leave anything that is in a box, boxed. Yes we agree that this can cause problems when it comes to shipping, but we have found that the buyer does not have a problem with this as we have not been asked to take them out of the box to reduce shipping. Not sure if this helps but this is just our experience here.
  • @Neiljones What you said usually makes sense – until it doesn't. As I mentioned earlier, certain items are bundled together in shared packaging. For instance, consider you have three rubber bands in stock. While one comes in its own individual package, the other two are bundled into one. Now, you're faced with three buyers. How do you send those items?
  • Sets with multiple color and sizes of capes and strings are usually packaged together in 1 small cardboard box. No way to keep those boxed.

I cant think of the set number off the top of my head, but the Harry Potter train/platform that released in 2022 had 4 metal axles that were packed in one of those boxes. They are sold individually, but I set it in my store where you had to buy the lot of 4 so I could keep them in the box.
  • @pikka If I have to open the box then we sell them as like new.
  • @Neiljones - have to admit, I don't understand that stance. Do you sell stickers as like new if you have to open the cardboard envelope to separate them from the instruction books? How about parts when you remove them from the plastic bags (soon to be paper bags)? Why is an elastic band subject to a different standard? Genuinely curious, as maybe I would agree with your reasoning and change how I do it myself.
  • @Neiljones I'm puzzled by the logic. Let's say you're selling 'New' minifigures – and all their capes originally come in a single cardboard box that needs to be opened – wouldn't the minifigures also be considered 'Like New' due to the capes?
  • If it is in a box/bag it’s new. If we have to open the box/bag to make up the mini figures then it is like new. That the way we see it if we are wrong then we are happy to be corrected
  • Surely used means 'clicked together' or otherwise used at least once, rather than 'taken out of its packaging'.

As new would be used but in the same visible condition as new, such as a minifig that has been assembled but lived its life on a display rack.