Threats of negative feedback

A customer that ordered bright light orange parts and received bright light orange parts threatens to give me bad feedback because the parts are according to her a shade that is closer to yellow than orange.
Is there anything a seller can do about a situation like this? It's like the customer thinks I have named the colors in my store or something... I offered her to return the parts at her expense for a refund. It's only a dollar worth of parts too.

Can a bad feedback be removed if it is obvious it is unfair?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Usually, no, but a buyer should not be using feedback hostaging to secure a resolution. I'm not sure what Admin would do in this case.

Does the buyer think the colour listed is a literal description of the colour, rather than just a reflection of what Lego's name for the colour is? In this case it sounds like an inexperienced buyer, and perhaps you could try and (politely) educate them.
  • Yes, it appears they think it is a literal description of the color.
    Working on explaining to them now, and it is a buyer with 3 feedback points, so not a lot of experience buying lego on brickowl anyway.
  • It's best to try your best to resolve the situation with the customer. If you have sent the correct part, then it would be a case of trying your best to explain the situation to them. We would not expect a seller to cover return costs in the case where a customer has ordered a part which they later realise they ordered incorrectly.
  • A small bit of good news is IF they leave neg feedback even when it's their own misunderstanding (and your store otherwise has great feedback) you can reply explaining the situation to other, later viewers. Most people would understand a store with good feedback and one professionally-stated response to a negative is that not everyone is a great buyer? Yes, I know, I'd be devastated honestly if that happened to me - I pride myself on our store's feedback, but as a biz we also have to look at what makes the most biz sense, also. Just keep your communications super-professional! :-)
  • Is there any way you can block a buyer like that from purchasing from you in the future?
    Bricklink allows this.. but I'm not sure how to do it on BrickOwl
  • The following is a bit off-topic, sorry for that.

I work in ecommerce and in my overall experience (including working with 3rd parties like Trustpilot), a score of 4.3/5 (or higher) is considered excellent. It's generally accepted in ecommerce that 86% good reviews is "excellent". Actually, that 4.3 (up to 4.7) is the aim. When dropping below , it's mostly a wake-up call to evaluate what we are doing wrong (service, the product, quality, shipping, ...).

On both major Lego marketplaces however, we seem to be stuck in an absolute desire to achieve 100%. That desire is not bad, but we have come to consider anything lower as 100% to be "bad". I'm interested to learn why on this specific topic, one bad feedback gets us, the sellers, so easily tickled. To that level we are investigating how we can get those feedbacks removed. When it's usually clear that when you do an overall good job with overall good feedback, you trust the audience to evaluate that few negative feedbacks to be what they are: exceptions.

Why would this be, that we as sellers are so focussed on that 100% and are no longer accepting 90% to be "excellent"?
  • https://www.brickowl.com/mystore/settings/blocked_customers

oooook, so they added a public reason as being mandatory, interesting
  • @Gaston.La.Brick There's quite a difference between feedback on here, which is rated either poor or great, and scales such as Trustpilot's starts, NPS or SSR. With those you are only looking at the number of top rated responses.

In reality a store with 100% feedback could have as low as 3.5/5 trustpilot ranking (which would be zero NPS), as you are only looking at good v bad rather than how good.
  • Why not just offer a refund if it's a dollar's worth? I generally feel like a dollar is worth it to avoid a negative FB.
  • Gaston, I'm sorry to say that I don't take Trustpilot (or Google, Amazon etc) reviews seriously as they're so easy to game. Trustpilot in particular is notorious for letting businesses erase poor feedback if the company happens to spend good money with them; and several big companies have been caught out getting employees to leave fake reviews, or "incentivising" customers to leave them with discounts or freebies.

Amazon sellers have contacted me directly to ask me to alter a review, promising refunds or freebies, so I take their reviews with a pinch of salt too.

I think that overall the feedback system here is fair and accurate, and that buyers and sellers alike make good-faith efforts to resolve any problems. I've received orders with minor inaccuracies, sometimes literally a couple of pence worth, and I always flag it up to the seller just in case their inventory has become mixed up, but I've only ever had to leave one negative feedback in ~250 orders.
  • @Charliesdad , no need to be sorry :smile:

When overall service is good, the scoring system - whatever it is - shouldn't have an effect like that on sellers (or buyers). When an individual seller due to one (1!) incorrect negative feedback feels the need to go into the forum and move heaven and earth to get a feedback removed, it must be an indication the sysetm is somewhat flawed.

I once heard the (marketing) commercial statement "(BRAND) goes 100% for 95% happy customers!". I believe that illustrates it pretty well there will always be errors, goofups or just unhappy customers. But it illustrates as well 95% happy customers is very good!

Still, in these market places, it seems everything below 99% is considered "really bad". Getting us into situations where sellers panic because of one or two negative feedbacks that they consider unjustified.

Of course, an ambition to go for 100% happy customers is a must. And buyers and sellers should try to resolve any issues. But actually getting 95% happy customers is good! So why is it that we 've come into a situation where one negative feedback got us - sellers - reacting the way we do to get it removed?