removal of hairpieces from keychains

Has anyone found a way to remove the hairpiece from a lego minifigure keyring without damaging the head please?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Carefully remove the ring. Then with a tight plier grip, pull straight out on the pin. A half twist might help.
  • i've used a couple of different methods to achieve this. Before I go further though, I will definitely say that YMMV. It's never a guarantee you won't damage the fig. But if you're careful, you can mitigate most of the risk.

The first method I've used is a soldering iron, and requires a pointed tip, not flat:

Steps: Plug in your soldering iron, get it hot (take the necessary precautions - a sponge, stand, safety goggles, gloves, etc...if you don't know how to use a soldering iron, don't come blaming me when you burn yourself). Then, take your keychain, and, using a pliers or two, remove all of the keyring but the pin itself. Then, carefully holding the fig in one hand, and the iron in the other, put the hot needle tip through the hole in the pinhead, and immediately begin applying a bit of pressure away from the fig. The goal is to 'pull' the pin out of the fig using the iron. As the iron heats up the pin, the plastic around the pin will begin to melt. This process will only take a few seconds at most, and then the pin will easily pull free of the fig. Easy-peasy. Now that said, if you don't aim straight, that iron will melt the plastic around the pinhead pretty damn quick. Needless to say, this works best on figs that have fairly simple heads, and not fancy hats or other embellishments in the hairpiece that make it hard to get the iron around. Cad Bane comes to mind as one that I had a hard time not melting the hat on. Also, be careful not to pull to hard, or that really hot pin could go flying off somewhere and burning your arm, your eye (hey, didn't I tell you to wear safety glasses?), your kitchen table, etc.

The second method I've used, which is theoretically a bit less destructive, but can take more time, is a dremel or other drill-like device that you can change out the bit on:

Steps: You definitely want something that has a variable-speed motor or low speed setting, so you don't go too fast and let things get out of control. Second, you'll need a thick piece of wire(12-14 gauge should be good) or a large paperclip. Finally, you'll need a cutting bit that has holes around the center, like the dremel's diamond bit. The key here is to feed the paperclip or wire through two holes opposite one another on the cutting bit, with the pinhead on the fig fed through the middle. Ascii diagram below:

cutting bit should kinda look like this: _._
    / o \
    { o o o }
    \ _o_/

paperclip should be bent like this: __ __ <-- tops go through holes in cutter bit and fold over.
    / \ / \
    \/
    " <-- Pinhead here

Once you have your assembly done, when you turn on your drill, you hold the fig firm in one hand, and the drill/paperclip bit contraption will start to make the pin spin around really fast inside the fig. Once it spins long/fast enough (in my experience, about 3-5 seconds, but again YMMV), the pin will get hot enough to melt the plastic and you can pull the drill/paperclip/pin free of the fig. Again, safety goggles should be worn. Also, avoid doing on a surface that you care about, like a nice dining room table. anyways, this takes a bit of time and practice to get just right. No matter what you do, you'll still end up with a hairpiece with a hole in it, but once the pin is free, the rest of the fig comes apart just like any other.

again, i'm not your mother. both of these techniques are dangerous. you should only do this under safe conditions, and I take no responsibility for any outcome from providing this information. also, if you look for it, you can see demos of both of these techniques done by others on youtube. good luck.

-Kevin
  • Lol. Thanks Kevin for your witty but informative article. Very useful and interesting and thanks for taking the time to reply. What I was thinking of doing was removing the keyring from a mini hulk keyring and then trying to replace the hair ( with a hole in it) with a new hairpiece, thius making the real minifigure ( all be it glued at the waist).
    Will try your tips. Once again - thanks
  • In the time it took me to read that ISO 13001 protocol manual, I pulled like a couple dozen keyring pins with some pliers and a little upper body strength. :-P

If you want to have non-glued figs then I've heard you can boil your figs. 100°C water won't harm ABS or the print. So I've heard.

Brian
  • try microwave the fig for 30 sec , should heat the metal up nicely , then pliers
  • Yes, well, the "protocols" save you from throwing out your shoulder. :)