Buyer-Friendly Coupons

As a seller, I haven't spent a lot of time placing orders on BO. But recently I tried to do one where I knew I had a coupon and found it a bit frustrating. Here are my suggestions to make a better experience for buyers with coupons.

1. Show buyers any unused user-specific coupons they have on the "My Orders" orders placed or "Profile" pages. Include a link to the store that issued the coupon.

2. Create a coupon icon that appears in the browse stores list from the main "Stores" page, as well as item search results page. (Bonus: adjust search results ranking based on price if the coupon is percentage-based)

3. Create a storefront widget for the right side that shows "You have a coupon in this store for xxxx!" or something to that effect.

4. Add the "apply coupon" function to checkout. This was the least intuitive part - I actually had to search the forum to learn that I must "view cart" to apply a coupon before going to checkout. (Bonus: always auto-apply a coupon, and allow buyers to deselect/remove it instead of actively adding it.)

5. Improve the "apply coupon" flow. When you click "apply coupon" you also must click "update total". Why make the user click two buttons to apply one coupon?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • +1
    I actually missed out on a sale recently where the buyer got frustrated after a couple of email exchanges and gave up. I have had to explain to other buyers how to apply the coupon on a couple of different occasions and I had a few buyers place orders without using an existing coupon. So yes, room for improvement on that front.

Thanks for your suggestions @DadsAFOL.
  • Completely agree, as I always have; Something needs to change with the coupons easy of use on the buyers end. Great suggestions @DadsAFOL

+1
    Chris
  • Agreed!
    Sent a coupon to a friend of mine sitting next to me just to see the process.
    Was surprised when nothing came through! Wasn't until he checked his email that we found it.
    Nothing appeared in his messages to remind him!
  • edited March 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Suggestions 1 to 3 have been noted, 4 has been implemented. 5 has been fixed for coupons that had free shipping.
This discussion has been closed.