Can someone confirm the color of this 2 x 4 brick?

I have a 2 x 4 brick in a color I do not recognize. I looked at several lego color charts and did not find it. After much searching I think that the color is medium violet.
Can anyone confirm the color? I have a pic of the brick with a dark purple brick and a medium lavender brick and a lavender bow to help provide context.

I’ve spent the last year sorting and cleaning used bricks I’ve owned over time and I’m slowly adding them to a store. I don’t want to add this under the wrong color and have a customer upset.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
:)

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hmmm - it could be either Medium Violet or Lilac (both exist in this size from 2005-ish mixed brick box sets). I would lean to Medium Violet also, but I have no existing parts in either color to compare the image against. :-(
  • I think it's more likely to be Medium Violet. I think I have one at home as part of my color chart (but I won't be home until Monday to check). I suspect given the rarity of both colors, and the similarities in shades, it is very difficult to determine which is which.
  • Thanks Cali & Jay! You are always both so helpful.
  • @Jay37 Were you able to check the color?
  • @GreenFox Sorry, my bad, have had a busy week with other work, so have only just got round to checking!

I've attached two images; one showing Dark Purple, Lavender, Medium Lavender, Medium Violet and Purple, and the other replicates your picture with Dark Purple, Medium Violet, Medium Lavender and Lavender.

For reference the photos were taken this morning on my phone indoors in shaded natural light. I have tweaked the levels in GIMP to brighten the image a little, but otherwise no other adjustments were made.

I have also checked my order history and the BO seller I purchased the Medium Violet from listed it as 'New' so I assume that they had pulled it straight from set 4411 (this could of course not be true but I have no way of checking). I do not have a Lilac brick (yet!) to compare against.

Your picture appears to have been taken in daylight but with an artificial light also being used as there are two shadows and a slight orange cast to the bottom of the image. If you try to replicate my conditions that might give you a better idea of whether what you have matches mine.

I probably have a few more 3001s to get for my color chart, so might splash out on a Lilac just for my own reference!

Hope this helps

James
  • Medium Violet (112) is bluer. This brick is definitely Lilac (219).
  • I have a 4x6 tile with studs on the edge in Medium Violet. I'll dig it out tomorrow and take a photo with the 2x4 brick to see if there's any difference...
  • Ok, so I think my original seller did not know for certain what color they had! I have taken a picture of my brick next to the 4x6 tile with studs (which I know is Medium Violet) and it is definitely a different shade (thank you @brickbuyer614 for the clarification), so I now believe my brick is Lilac.

I have amended the original two images and reattached here with my new one (also including Violet for reference).

@GreenFox hopefully you should be able to compare against these examples to come up with an answer!!
  • Jay, you are always so informative! I didn't even KNOW there was a Lilac until this chat came up. :-)
  • @Calibrick It's not surprising you haven't been aware of it - it's hardly the most common of colors :D

Bit more info here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126975831@N07/14983718557/in/album-72157649729890049/
  • This was so helpful everyone! Thanks
    It looks like this lilac 2x4 brick has no set associated with it. How is it possible to have a brick that is not connected to a set?
  • edited July 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    According to BL Lilac appears in a free box of additional bricks given with 4679 in 2005, which itself was a Toy's R Us exclusive (although here on BO it is not in a set inventory). Medium Violet seems to only appear in 4411 from 2004. I suspect the rarity of both sets, the proximity of release and similarity of shades has contributed to the confusion.
  • It might be worth splitting those 4679s. The Lilac brick was also available on PAB walls around 2005.
  • I have a lilac brick magnet https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-lilac-brick-magnet-2-x-4-30160
    These are my photos taken in natural light if I remember correctly.