There should be a smarter part allocator for buying a wishlist

TLDR: The smart allocator should take the least commonly sold parts, find the stores that sell the most of those parts, then allocate the wishlist based on those stores. Crossreferencing which stores have what optimally is a pain in the block to do by hand.

Sorry if I over-explain anything —I'm naturally verbose—, but I hope in this setting it's better than making you guess what I'm saying. :V

When I had every store in north america/united states checked, it allocated to dozens of stores with only two or three pieces in each. What was a $20 build would have cost almost $300 with shipping, not to mention that I —unsurprisingly— didn't meet the minimum order requirement for most of them. If you don't implement my full idea, I still think it would be a good idea to prioritize using fewer stores then prioritizing meeting the minimum order amount as applicable rather than raw piece and shipping price (which is how I understand it works now).

What I ended up doing (because I had a number of —apparently— rarer pieces) is looking at what stores carried all that I needed of a single rare piece, and tried to find the stores that showed up more often for other rare pieces. I was eventually able to whittle it down to three stores as they had all the more common pieces, too. I fully admit that I don't really know what I'm doing, as this was my first time doing this, so I'm sure I could have been more thorough.

I don't have much of a formal compsci education, but I know that the process I used would be so much easier for a computer.
1. The user would input the search regions (like north america or the uk)
2. The engine generates a list of the number of stores in that region that stock each part
3. (for optimization) The engine looks at the parts with the fewest stores (either by top X andor using a threshold*) for steps 4-7
4. For each part, the engine pulls the list of stores that stock it and how many each store has in stock
5. The engine counts the frequency of each store
6. The engine chooses the most frequent store (weighted by whether the store has enough of each part in stock†) and tries to allocate‡ as many parts as it can
7. Because one store won't have everything, the engine takes what parts are left over and repeats steps 4-6
8. The engine tries to allocate the full parts list with the stores it has chosen, allocating to any stores with unfulfilled minimum orders first
9. If there are parts that can't be allocated with the chosen stores, loop back to step 3 with the missing part in the rare part list or something§
10: Push the final allocation list to the client

It might be worth implimenting a tooltip to the client to search a larger region (like both US and Canada instead of one or the other) if the number of stores chosen is too high or any minimum order sizes aren't fulfilled. Maybe it would be possible to weight some stores more or less in step 6 based on price (perhaps as a user option), or the search could be run multiple times with different criteria and show the cheapest version? I don't know.§

*if more than X number of parts have fewer than Y stores, they can be included in this step, where X and Y are arbitrary numbers that can be based on the number of total parts.

†I don't know how weighted decisions are implemented, but it would be used to avoid a situation like in the image provided: In the first example, stores 1 and 2 have more types of parts, so they would be chosen first, but they only have one of each part. Stores 3, 4, and 5 then get chosen and are allocated what is left. In the second example, stores 3, 4, and 5 had enough of each part they carried, making the first two stores unnecessary. Perhaps when calculating frequency, the stores are counted for each piece it has in stock that is required for the build? So in the examples, store 5 would be counted 6 times, and stores 1 and 2 would only be counted 4 times?

‡For optimization, it doesn't have to allocate the full wishlist, it can just just subtract the amount required by/from the amount it sees in stock, removing whichever reaches 0 if that happens.

§I've actually been composing this for hours and it's now 4am, so I'm too tired to think about —and too practically inexperienced to know— the effeciency of that, but it's the most robust idea I got other than skipping step 3 entirely, though I think that would mess up the frequency list.†

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am actually having somewhat similar issue (topic here: https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/14973/brick-owl-magic-features ).
    Adding regions would even make it more better for users. For example, being in EU member country, it is a pita to uncheck some countries by hand afterwards (like UK) to avoid import taxes and etc. But long story short, the Brick Owl Magic is somewhat shortcoming in certain scenarios.
  • In general the wishlist tool is only semi-automated, it allocates to the stores you have chosen, but it does not choose which stores to select. It won't work properly if you select hundreds of stores. I will look into seeing if we can highlight this as clearly it is confusing.
  • But I would really like to use it so that I would select all the stores to see, where to get the parts in the cheapest way and also to optimize between cheapest and with the least transportation costs. We need to keep in mind, that the store that might have all the necessary parts, this store might charge us double the price of a piece that is available somewhere else - and more often than I'd like to admit, this outcome is very often. Not even mentioning the stores, where they have a lot average being set above 1€...
  • @P6tu You may want to see where this fellow is at with his project…which is what I think you are asking for. Sort of. Maybe. In part.
    https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/comment/61437
    https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/14749
  • @P6tu that is essentially what the catalog cart tool is, but it is computationally very expensive so it doesnt work with a large amount of lots.
  • @Lawrence , is there a way to import a list of parts to the catalog cart? The description somewhat sounds like something that I need, but I have never used it...
  • @mfav , thanks for the hint. I've seen the post before, but it sounded a bit complex in general to grasp what the OP of that subject is typing about and it got me lost - but yeah, that is something that I am looking for =).
  • You can also check out brickonomics.net

You can import a Brick Owl wishlist and it will compute the most optimal selection of stores for you. Often saving you a lot of money (and time) compared to checking out all kinds of different store combinations in the Brick Owl wishlist assistant.
This discussion has been closed.