Set shipping carrier on the order

Currently, the shipping method on the order determines which carrier is used. When adding a tracking ID on the order, the tracking link is automatically added based on the shipping method.

I define shipping methods like "Parcel with track and trace", where I have several prices per weight and destination country. Depending on the weight and country, it can be I use different carriers. Like for parcels to Germany < 2 kg: DPD but for parcels to France > 2 kg: GLS. (Just as an example). So in my case, one shipping method can actually have several carriers.
Implementing this would become complex really fast, I understand that. So my suggestion is a "best next thing" and shouldn't be that hard to implement.

So my suggestion becomes this one:
It would be nice to be able to specify not only the tracking ID on the order, but the carrier as well. This would overrule the carrier that's linked to the shipping method. So when adding a tracking ID, it would show two input fields:
- textbox for tracking ID
- dropdown for carrier (default value: carrier linked to the chosen shipping method)

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have the same problem as you and thought something like what you suggest too.

Having a default carrier for the shipping method, but being able to select another when filling the ID.

+100
  • Upvoted!
    Also, adding independent tracking platforms, such as track17.net, would provide a convenient solution to access shipping information from hundreds of carriers in one place. Having a default carrier for the shipping method is OK but being able to add a tracking platform would solve many problems.
  • Please, please, please community - upvote this suggestion.

I just had an order with a tracking ID but once again BrickOwl generated the wrong tracking link since I couldn't overrule/select the carrier matching the tracking ID.

Since it doesn't seem a big feature to implement, could you all please upvote this?
    Many thanks.
  • Potentially as a workaround you could create some shipping methods with the relevant carriers selected, and then change the shipping method on the order after it is placed to one of those. You could limit them so they won't be available to be seen by customers
  • That's a valid functional workaround.
    In reality however, managing shipping methods (with all the carriers, weight and volume bands, options like tracking or not, optional insurance and setting the correct prices), is a cumbersome administrative task. Especially when you want to cover many different destination countries.

So even though the workaround is valid from a functional point of view, it's not really a manageable approach, I'm afraid. At least not for me.

Attached image is the list I already have to manage, with per shipping method (inside) different weight bands.
  • I think that Lawrence had a little different option in mind.
    Don't go setting up options for every possible situation.
    But hold what you have and just add 1 option for GLS, DPD and so on.
    Make the settings in a way that a buyer would not see them, for example under 1 gram and only over €10.000

At least that is what I got from it :)
  • Ah, I get it. Indeed, misunderstood.

The tracking would work now, but no longer a reference to the shipping method (tracked/untracked, letter/parcel, ...).

Coming to think of it: why not just letting the buyer enter the full tracking link (instead of only the tracking number) as an editable field on the order? Problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.