New transparent black color

In set 75346 there is a windscreen, with the new colour "Transparent Black". This shares the name for our existing colour "Transparent Black" which is actually referred to by Lego as "Transparent Brown".

Clearly this is an issue so we would need to do something about the colour names. Potentially we could create the new colour as " Transparent Dark Black" or "Transparent Black (2023)" or "New Transparent Black".

I would be interested to hear what people's opinions are on this.

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My preference would be to migrate the current Transparent Black to Transparent Brown, make (new) Transparent Black "Transparent Black". Then there is parity with LEGO and BrickLink, and there is one less thing to contend with in the future.

If you make (new) Transparent Black "New Transparent Black", it will be new only until LEGO releases New Transparent Black, at which time New Transparent Black here has to become Old New Transparent Black and hilarity ensues.
  • Rebrickable and BrickLink have renamed 111 to “Trans-Brown”. Both sites refer to the new color as “Transparent Black”. Renaming 111 is the only way to go. No need to create more confusion. :)
  • I agree with @mfav and @mevitsbricks about switching existing Trans Black to Trans Brown (assuming this isn't too problematic) and creating a new Trans Black (but not calling it New Trans Black). I imagine this part will ultimately not be the only one to have this color and it's possible in the future they'll be the same parts in both colors. Better to make a clear distinction now.

There will always be stores that accidentally or unwittingly add parts to the wrong color (Trans Neon Green and Tran Neon Yellow spring to mind here), but those stores who are a bit more familiar with colors would no doubt appreciate the distinction.
  • I agree with everyone above. Having said that, the current Trans Black doesn't look very brown to me :)
  • My concern would be, if we just rename Transparent Black to Transparent Brown, most users would not be aware of this change and would then incorrectly select Transparent Black when buying/selling.
  • A one-time per user warning for every cart that includes Transparent Black?
  • As mostly buyer, then this is a new thing for me. Had to look it up, what an actual transparent black looks like :D. Anyway, yeah, for not so often ordering people, this would be confusing and frankly speaking, I don't know, how I would be aware of it (unless reading the forums)... A warning wouldn't actually raise an alarm for me, because so far the trans-black has always been the right thing and I wouldn't take notice of it.

Actually, what would get my attention, would be a notification on top of the page (always there) for the next couple of months (or maybe even a bit longer) that there is a new transparent black colour and the namings have been corrected accordingly. That would get my attentions - to be informed about the new trans-black and renaming the old one to trans-brown.
  • I'm with @mfav Would it be possible to rename current Trans Black as Trans Brown (old trans black) for a period of time?
  • @Lawrence Given at the moment there is *one* new Transparent Black part…one would think that any not-often-user coming into the site looking for old Transparent Black parts and suddenly not finding pretty much *any* of them would eventually realize something is up. Inventories would include the part with the color renamed, so it shouldn't be that big a hassle to suss things out.

There is no winning, only different levels and duration of pain, and everyone is going to be subject to it…except maybe people who join up after the change is implemented…provided the change is one-and-done…and it doesn't have to be revisited in the future.
  • Switching our current trans-black to trans-brown is the best way to go. Since rebrickable and bricklink have already done it, I'd say most of the lego community is already getting used to the change, so changing it here will have less of a confusing effect than keeping it and renaming the new color.
  • The new name is causing an invalid class name in css in my custom app. The class for the color is transparentblack<2023 and I can't target it as it's invalid.
  • @ralphs_bricks could you give an example URL for that?
  • Satin version could use a new name. :)
  • @Lawrence nevermind I forgot how my code works. I was taking the color name from the items endpoint then I was using JS to strip illegal characters and make that a legal css name. I just needed to strip the '>' and all was good. The downtime made me look at my own code ;)
  • @Lawrence people hate change as we well know, not to mention the confusion. I would certainly respectfully recommend leaving the original Transparent Black as-is and calling the new color Transparent Dark Black. That's a great win-win suggestion, IMHO.

Changing the original - particularly to a LEGO-accurate but not eye-accurate "Transparent Brown" would be super confusing and trippy in my respectful opinion. The detailed part of me loves alignment, but the practical part of me knows that is asking for trouble from a consumer POV (loads of whom do not intimately know the colors as some more hard-core AFOLs or sellers might). My humble two cents, only! :-)
  • @Calibrick I do agree with you about change and confusion.

However going on from now the current 'trans black' is going to be called 'trans brown' on all the main websites. Surely that is going to be more confusing than changing the name here and adding a note.
  • It looks like for now, both show as Trans Black here, but one is <2023 and one is >2023. Though it looks a bit odd, I don't mind it either.

I do see your point @White Horse Bricks , but the other sites are owned by The LEGO Group who's color names do not necessarily look at things from a user POV...? They seem to more follow legacy titles and names (just look at some of the bizarre original part names). Just another point of consideration. :-)

Not an easy thing here, for sure!
  • Not just TLG sites. Rebrickable and Brickset are also using Trans-brown. I would argue that they are two of the most used independent LEGO information sources online.
  • Why not have transparent brown ( old transparent black <2023 ) not sure how that would work in the search results.
  • Late to the conversation here but I’m with @Calibrick here. Let’s give the new colour a new name and leave the existing one.
    Sometimes ‘old’ colours reappear in more sets too, so the solution of using <2023 may well backfire in the near future!