Lego designID 29

Hi,

In my "pile" of LEGO I came accross item number 29b with description "LEGO Black Window 1 x 1 x 2 Classic with Long Sill (29)". I have one in black and two red. They have a subtile difference. Anyone know why the black one has a asking average of € 25 and the red one only €0.53?

Dirk - https://dlc.brickowl.com

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm always a bit dubious about things like this and try to use other sources to investigate. It looks like the version with the extended sill does not exist in black (according to BL), so it's more than likely a misidentification on the store's part, and is actually the shorter sill version.

This one is still quite rare though, appearing in only two sets, so this would explain the market valuation. Red is the most common color, so this is reflected in the lower price.

I'd double check your parts, but I'm willing to bet they are the standard sill version.
  • Here are some close ups. The black one is different from the red one, even though a "normal" person wouldn't see it ;-) I am just curiously seeking for the reason behind this price gap.
    What do you think Jay?
  • The black one is definitely the normal sill/lip (design 29 - BOID 284136), appearing in sets 7730 (x2) and 7750 (x4), both from 1980. This explains it's rarity and value.

The red has the extended sill/lip (29a - BOID 238220) and appears in 8 sets. It's also possible from the slight warping that the red is a very old cellulose acetate version as opposed to an ABS version.

The internal variations are probably just molding differences to allow for the inclusion of glass, and also the later ABS ones would no doubt have had a completely new mold.

Still, lucky you have a black one. If you're unsure of a price, or there is no historical data here on BO, I tend to look at the prices on BL; ignore the two cheapest and two most expensive and work an average from the remainder. Compare this against the historical sales amounts and current stock averages and you should arrive at something that isn't wildly out of sync with other stores.
  • Thank you Jay. This is really good information. I will adjust prices accordingly!

Happy Eastern!