Shipping methods - how can I add weight & dimension margins without change the rates?

Hi, is there a way of applying a weight and/or dimension margin (say 10%) to my shipping methods, without updating the actual rate prices themselves?
Looking for something similar to how it works over on the other platform.
Thanks.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I could be being a bit dim here, but you might want to enable your delivery page as nothing is showing for me unless I add to a cart, at which point all your delivery methods are listed.

I assume that when your settings are sorted this list will only show relevant shipping methods based on weight/dimensions.
  • My store>settings>shipping>edit shipping method. Select the one you want and scroll down. There is a section 'Dimensions Limit (L x W x H)' where you can enter the max allowed for that method.
  • @Jay37 Im purposely displaying all shipping methods in the checkout to give buyers a complete choice, this isnt the issue.
    What im trying to do is apply a weight margin to allow for packaging, so that I don’t get caught short on postage when shipping an order.
  • @White Horse Bricks I have dimension limits set for all of my shipping methods already, but this doesn’t solve my problem of how to set a weight margin to allow for packaging.
  • I don't think there's an automatic way to do this if that's what you're looking for (although am happy to be corrected if there is). As you say 10%, maybe 15%, to allow for packaging. So for example a Large Letter starts by going up to 100gm but a bubble envelope might weigh 8-10gm. If you set your first weight band as 0-85gm, then your second from 86gm, etc, you should be OK. With my rates I tend to allow for a little bit more as the weight increases - if more parts are ordered I'm likely to need more grip seal bags and potentially a larger envelope.

I think I've been hit with this problem a couple of times in the past and have had to swallow it as a cost of doing business, but then quickly looked to change it. Touch wood I think my bands are set fairly well at the moment, so the only time I have to tweak things is when the Royal Mail introduce new, or amend existing, weight bands.
  • @Jay37 many thanks for your input. Having thought about it overnight, ive come up with a workaround of reducing the band weights by 10% hopefully this will work.
    I have twice as many shipping methods on BO than I do on BL because of things like this, it’s a pain & I’m really not looking forward to updating them again next year.
  • @grimsbricksuk how is this going for you? For myself, I actually do two things:

1. I set my max sizes smaller than the postal service max for each rate to accommodate the packaging size
    2. I use a graduated method for charging shipping weights. For smaller orders, my packaging weights 1/2 oz, so for orders up to 10 oz I apply a rate 1 oz higher than the weights actually are. So I set my rates such that a 2 oz order is actually having the 3 oz shipping rate applied in the band. I escalate that increase in larger weights, as my presumption is I have to move to heavier/larger packaging for larger parts (size indidivually or collectively).