Inventories, your thoughts required

So, we need inventory editing of course. I want it to be as easy as possible, I would like your thoughts both from people who have done inventories, and those who never have that might be interested. You get one point per item in an inventory to encourage you :)

I was thinking, you go to an item, you click "Begin Creating/Editing Inventory". It will show you a screen with the current items in the inventory if there are any.

To add items to the inventory, you open a new tab, search the catalog for the item you want to add. When you find it, click on it, then there will be a button like "Add to open inventory". A pop-up window will appear, you enter the quantity and if it is an extra etc. You then carry on to finding the next item.

When you are done, you go back to the original item, refresh the screen, and all the items you have added are there. You then check it over, and submit it for approval.

I may also make a bar at the top of the screen, a bit like the cart on stores,to show items you have recently added to the inventory.

Thoughts? Issues?

We will also support upload from Brickstore, but ideally I'd like to make the website good enough that there is not need to use other software.

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have edited inventories on both Bricklink as well as using Brickstore. My main reason to use only Brickstore now is the ease of adding elements. You talk about a popup, another window and it seems already to match Bricklink which was not good (enough). Ideally I would like a scenario where you make/edit an inventory, get an add button, and on that same page you can search the entire catalog. So no other page or popup is involved. You get extra 'add to inventory' buttons on the catalog search results without the need to go back and forth between the inventory page and/or the catalog search results. Again, no popups involved.

A very important part will be the search. When looking at the part list on instructions it is not always clear what kind of part it is. Plates and bricks are obvious but for instance a large ski pole element is very unclear to me: is it a bar or a minifig utensil? I'm thinking a thumbnail gallery of likely elements of which to pick, filtered by color and not by type.

With respect to inventories in general I would like to be able to start an inventory but not finish it. 90% of the parts are easily added but for the other parts you need to take pictures, add them to the catalog, and so on. That takes a lot of time and effort and frankly doing the basic inventory AND doing all that other work is too much. On multiple occasions I would have started an inventory if I was not required to also add all the new pieces.
  • Seems like a lot of screens at first to me.

If you could have a searchable pop up or frame on the first screen that you could drag and drop the items from I think it would be faster. Adjust the quantities, colour, variation all in one screen from options.

The biggest thing I would want is the least number of clicks or pages to do it online.

(Even with a perfect system, offline manipulation software fits many people not privileged with fast connections and zippy computers. )
  • ^ This. I never added inventory to BL, because there wasnt a need for extra hand in the kitchen.

I have, however, maintained item databases, as well as contributed to new items. The less windows/steps and more info in the same window...the better. If it's super easy, it'll be super maintained.
  • Okay, I will need to have more of a think then. The difficulty is, you essentially want the whole of the catalog browse/search system, but inside of another screen.

Being able to submit only part of an inventory is a foundation of this system. There is no reservations, there is no waiting for an inventory to be complete. You can submit one item or all of them. We will use the piece count from Brickset to indicate if the inventory is likely to be complete or not and maybe also a flag from our system where somebody has verified it.
  • Something similar like buying from a store no? You have the catalog on the main screen and the stuff you added to the inventory is minimized on the top (like your cart). You have an option to view the inventory (cart) but as a default it is only displayed small.
  • edited July 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Something similar like buying from a store no? You have the catalog on the main screen and the stuff you added to the inventory is minimized on the top (like your cart). You have an option to view the inventory (cart) but as a default it is only displayed small.
    So to clarify, are you saying you are happy to go around the usual catalog that exists now, but for example where there would be an add to cart button, we would instead have an add to inventory button?
  • Sure, from my experience with brickstore, you have the main search window which hides the inventory overview. You search, you add, you see a small portion of the inventory screen, so you see parts being added. In the end you double check the inventory, but then the search window is not needed anymore.
  • A lot of parts in an inventory are very easy to add. Take for instance plates: you search for plates, you get a listing of all different sizes, you pick a color and then it's just click on a plate size, put in a quantity, click add, click on another plate size, put in a quantity, click add, repeat. So it's really beneficial to have multiple search results visible and being able to rapidly add some of those to the inventory.
  • Okay, I suppose maybe even it could work even more like stores, when you click "add to inventory", the colour list would slide down, you would click the colour you want, type in the quantity, and then click the final "add to inventory" button and the list would slide back up out of the way.
  • A couple of quick suggestions:
    Ability to delete an item currently listed in the inventory or just modify it.
    Notification system for people that have parted out sets into their stores' inventory or wishlists that the inventory has changed - maybe the affected parts in that store's invenotry and that buyer's wishlist become flagged somehow?
  • I recently did an inventory of set 45100-1 (I just added that to the catalog) 150 or so different lots, still finding time to create the sticker sheet and cards somewhere.

I'm in the catalog trying to envision doing the inventory here as I think you mean.

Would it be a standard cat page with all the stores and colour buttons? If so the button should be found without any scrolling.

The colour list could be quite long. This can be one of the biggest places to save time as scrolling for that takes a lot of my time now with brickstore.

On the main item page all the known colours are sitting there, if you could do it more like a button "I am going to add this color to the open inventory" it may be more direct. Not even moving that I can see and if you could do it for more than one colour of the same item there. this item in blue and green, ok add click click.

Worry about adjusting quantity on the manipulate page.

So done one item... back page and there is the last category I was at, almost as good as having the add function on the same screen as the list.

This screen needs a better search order though. Probably by item number and thinking visual, for plates, 1x whatevers side by each, 2x whatevers as well. Now I can't list it so I don't have to search through that I can tell.

A filter for this working page would be great.

I'll stop there for now....

Okay, I suppose maybe even it could work even more like stores, when you click "add to inventory", the colour list would slide down, you would click the colour you want, type in the quantity, and then click the final "add to inventory" button and the list would slide back up out of the way.
    I went into a store to try and picture it, the list that would come up, if you mean more just a adjustable list will appear when you hit the button on the item page, that sounds OK to me.

Kept to known colours and being able to add quantities for more than one of that part would be neat.

Being able to specify if it is an extra/alternate or not may be useful here?

I don't know if more people would want to add all the information about a lot once and be done with it or are more like me and like to get a list together and then double check everything as I go through.

Hey,

I changed my mind about it again :) I realised, the stores way of doing things, they only have a list of the current colours. Obviously new sets often have new colours.

Now I'm thinking, just like brick store, you have an empty screen with no rows in it. You click add item, an add item screen appears (inside the current page, like brickstore) that is essentially the catalog with search/filters etc. The screen has the usual grid of items in it, when you click on an item that you want, the add item screen disappears, and it appears as a new row in your inventory. On that row, you then set colour ( drop down with existing colours first) and quantity/alternate etc. Then you click add item for the next row and continue.

Maybe even the add item screen would not disappear automatically so you could just click click click on all of the bricks and then set their colours afterwards.

Sorry I keep changing, it's a bit of a difficult thing to get right. Trying to have the minimum amount of clicks.
  • Sounds workable. One improvement over BrickStore - and I think you are saying this - is to show "known" colors first to make the pick faster. If its a first use of new color/part, then maybe a "more..." in the color pick list pops up the full rainbow for selection.

And regarding "known" parts, are you taking a feed from BrickSet? It seems that most new parts and new color/part combinations are exposed in that feed before they actually appear in a set. That would reduce the catalog add activity here.
    The drop down will be the same that is used on the items when you want to sell it, all the colours, but with the known colors first.

We don't take the data from brickset, we get it direct from Lego and it forms the basis of our catalog.
  • Obviously new sets often have new colours.
    Good point, a fun thing to look for. Seems adding a part in a new colour is as easy as listing it somewhere with no previous steps needed?

Great idea to have the know colours first in the list, works perfect for me. I already like your sort order better when I was adding parts manually, that option there would be great too.

The rest sounds better all the time to me.
  • James,
    One of the easiest ways I could Imagine is to use the PCC codes, they are printed in the building instructions (and available through TLG's partsreplacement service) and automaticly relates to 'colors'.
    Offcourse BO should support those PCC codes and the easiest way to do an inventory (even a partial one) is:
    Line: PCC code xxxxxxx, quantity x
    it would be very easy to create an online inventory that way, particulary for new sets.
    Offcourse the option for actual part and color needs to be available as well, as older parts do not have the PCC code.
    So a line would need:
    PPC Code OR part + colorcode AND quantity. The filling of the PCC code could block the entry for the partnumber and color. If Partnumber is filled in, the PCC code would get blocked...

If the PCC code does not exist, it will be in the inventory, but as long a 'part' is not linked to it, the inventory will show a 'blank' item, but at least it's linked in the inventory, soon as the part gets matched to the PCC, it will appear correctly...

Just some thoughts ;-)
  • Lots of the older PCC are simply as you stated, part code + color code, e.g. 302301 is the 1x2 plate (3023) in white (01). This worked well until part codes got to five digits and colors exceeded 100.

Brian
  • Has nothing to do with simple PCC codes or not...
    On BL, what I find complicated is to have 2 screens: 1 to submit the inventory, one to type the PCC code and find the actual part number and color (usually obvious), then go back to first screen, type or paste the partnumber and color.
    It would be much easier to simply type the PCC code and quantity, in just one screen. If the PCC codes is not recognised, no problem, it will be in the inventory as 'blank' item, untill someone matches a part to it... This would mean inventories are complete to start with, but just not showing all parts...
  • A valid point about the Lego item numbers, you will be able to search them in the add screen though.
  • The only problem are mold variants (alternates), as they carry the same PCC number.
    In that case the actual partnumber could be used + color in stead of the PCC code, but usually that's just a couple of partsnumbers per set. That is offcourse if BO wants to use 'determined' versions in sets.
  • I had a thought about adding sets into inventory as well. In addition to the condition (New - sealed, Used - complete, etc.) what about check boxes for whether or not the instructions, box and so on are present?

I have quite a few sets where all the parts are present, so in one sense they're complete, but there's no instructions or packaging so it doesn't seem quite right marking them as complete.

ATM I've marked them as complete and put in the notes that there are no instructions or packaging, but it would be useful for buyers to see upfront when shopping.
  • It is very much in progress, but you can get the idea of how you add stuff to an inventory now

http://brickowl.com/catalog/lego-batman-jetski-set-30160/edit_inventory
  • I LOVE the smaller images!!
    It is very much in progress, but you can get the idea of how you add stuff to an inventory now

• I would like to see if an item is new or used in the main screen in a store, instead of having to click on the item first.

Now it looks as if some items are really cheap, but the moment you click on it, you see that the item is used..... hence the price
  • pazzo, this doesn't have anything to do with inventory editing...
  • It is very much in progress, but you can get the idea of how you add stuff to an inventory now

WOW! So clear and easy to understand. A great tool for novice and experienced contributor alike.

• Very nice so far I think.

On the add window, the main list could have more of a memory. I keep scrolling back down to open a sub category of where I just was. If when it opened again to add more, it would still remember it would be a bonus.