Finding heads

I've been working on a database of LEGO heads to improve discovery. Anyone who has tried to use the search functions on the marketplaces knows that the text search is woefully inadequate and the images are often wrong or dicey or missing. So this is an attempt to fill a void.

While a functional beta, at the moment it is incomplete with respect to data, but before I get too far down the road I would like some input from the community. I have a sales pitch on my web site http://v4ei.com/headhunter-announcement.php and I hope maybe a couple of you nice folks would be willing to take a look and offer some comments.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi. Nice job there. First thing that came to my mind, would be, if the head is dual sided or one sided... I've failed few times in that department while assembling sets.
  • Great project @mfav, I've applied to help in whatever capacity I can.
  • @mfav loving it! Just based off the invite page, It would be nice if the search results showed the stud type (hollow, solid, "safety") on each panel, as some come in all three or frequently two variants.

And maybe fewer panels per page (smaller) if this is a mockup of search results? The size is great for potentially a cell phone, but viewing on a large curved widescreen, each panel is just huge and in-your-face. :-) That may require two viewports that can ascertain the visitor's device, with each using percentages vs. pixels in the panel sizes.
  • I really suggest you click the link to sign up and try the live thing. You can set the stud type as a search parameter. And there is a "stud symbol" to show you which stud type a head is when the results are returned. Try it on a phone. Try it on a desktop. For real. Then if you have comments put them on the forum and we can see if there is some sort of consensus. I think the head size is reasonable in the real thing. I think if you structure your search well that you are not going to come up with 200 results. You can structure the search to come up with all 1800+ yellow faces by choosing Yellow from the head color list, but the point of building it was not to end up with a result list of 1800 faces. If you enter all the parameters correctly, you will often end up with one and only one result. Which I hope is accurate. But getting back five or eight is not so bad compared to 50 or 200.

Really. Try it out.

That picture in the web page will scale to whatever your window is, so I don't know that the picture there in the announcement is necessarily representative of the real thing. I mean, yeah, sort of, but also sort of not depending on what you have for a screen.