Shipping Issue

I've just received a one-part order for the following:

http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-red-lord-business-helmet-15864

The system has selected a shipping method with maximum dimensions of 114mm x 162mm x 1mm. This shipping method is active just for sticker sheets, nothing else, but apparently the lack of dimensions on the above piece has caused this to be selected as the most appropriate shipping method.

Normally I'd swallow the hit and adjust things accordingly so it doesn't happen again (in this case by adding the item's dimensions), but this is the 3rd time in recent days that something similar has happened and I'm not prepared to do it for a one item order.

Can I please request that when an order includes an item that doesn't have dimensions, that the system automatically forces a 'quote request' - this would help prevent me from sending any more grovelling messages like the one below. Make it an optional thing on a store by store basis if necessary. The only other option I can see is that I delete all my shipping bands and just invite quote requests for all orders.

Thanks.

Hello, many thanks for your order.

Unfortunately Brick Owl has incorrectly calculated the shipping for this item, I suspect because the item's dimensions are not recorded in the database. As you can see from my shipping chart here (http://pam.brickowl.com/page/delivery), the €1.39 shipping charge is suitable for sticker sheets only. I will bring this to the attention of the site's admin.

The actual cost to ship this item would be €4.17. This leaves you with 2 options. You can either send a further payment of €2.78 to xxx to cover the difference or I can refund your payment in full.

I normally wouldn't worry about €3 but I'm sure you can understand when it's more than the cost of the order itself, it's just not possible for me to take the hit.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed. If I don't hear anything within 2 days I will automatically refund your payment in full.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I do apologise, there was a bug with the handling of estimated parts dimensions, they weren't been used when they should have been. That part should now not have that shipping method suggested for it.

I have also added a new task onto the store dashboard to make it more clear that there are items in your inventory without dimensions.
  • If it was a bug then fair enough, these things happen. Thanks for adding the task, I'll start working my way through them next week, though adding the weight might be an issue for smaller items as my scales don't include decimals.

I still think a "force quote request when order includes items without dimensions" option might be a good idea.