Advise on what to do

Had an order from new buyer, address only has street - no house or flat number so I can't send, it will come straight back to me. I've messaged customer but no response yet. I've not had this particular problem yet and unsure how to move on this. If I let it sit it will degrade my delivery stats (I always ship same day if order comes in before end of day) and also the customer, who may not have seen message, will be wondering where their Lego is.

What do others do in this scenero? It feels a bit rude to just cancel but I cannot see an alternative other than to sit on it for a longer period of time to the detriment of my stats, plus it leaves me open to a negative feedback. Of course they may well respond, it's been 24 hours since I messaged.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I had this a few times recently, must be a new trend. Thankfully I've had buyers get back to me in good time, but it's very odd that someone would just forget to add their house number. Each time I messaged to ask them for their complete address, and that I would cancel the order after 7 days if I didn't receive a reply.
  • Thanks @hoddie, I may do that, send another message to cover myself. It is odd and I did check Paypal too but just a street name and when I check the postcode it looks like a street of flats (poss student accommodation) and a lot of them too.
  • I've had this a couple of times, although not recently. In all cases I've (eventually) received a response - sometimes it's just an oversight, though I agree with @Hoddie that this seems a bit strange.

It's possible the message has ended up in a spam or promotions folder and they may not think to check there. Unlike us, who are probably checking our store a few times a day, they may not bother logging in for a while so may not see the message count here either.
  • I had this recently, too, but the buyer never responded back to me. I think made four or five attempts over a two-week period. I finally gave up and refunded the customer money with a final e-mail thanking them for their business. They never responded to the last e-mail, either.
  • I've been lucky enough to never run into this, but I would definitely do what folks above said - attempt to msg them for a complete address if PayPal/USPS cannot verify it (after a quick Google Earth check - in smaller towns or rural areas, the street may truly be all that is needed and there is no house number), and failing that, cancel the order after two attempts.

I would not worry about your shipping "stats" though - if they reply, all is good. If not and you cancel the order, it does not count against your stats. Regardless, the stats are NOT public, you only see them on your dashboard - and I imagine admin uses them to monitor that stores have appropriately set their shipping targets on their home pages if shipping average isn't **reasonably** close (e.g., you can't say 1-2 days shipping to show up in the catalog if you always take 5 days to ship). Being a few days off occasionally isn't going to kill your overall stat, and admin can certainly see that was an exception based on the messages in the system. :-)