Bulk Qty

I'm adding new Lego sets to my store and they ask for bulk qty. What does that mean?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe that is set to '1' by default and is the minimum amount of that item that can be purchased. If you change it to another value (say '10' for example) that becomes the minimum amount that someone needs to purchase of that item.

I have never felt the need to change it, so I'm not 100% certain what I've described is correct, but there may be other stores who have and hopefully they can help.
  • Jay, I share your guess (I don't use it either) - I suspect (but am not sure) bulk has to do with the tier pricing MAYBE? So if they buy in lots of 10 as a bulk quantity, they get a Tier X price as opposed to buying 1 which is a (likely slightly higher) Tier Y price. The help options may explain this better (at the bottom of this page, look under selling).
  • @Calibrick Tier pricing is available under the 'Advanced' selling tab, and I don't use that either but I think you're right about "if you buy one it will be XX each, but if you buy ten they will be YY each". The Bulk Qty option appears under the Qty for Sale box on the standard selling tab, and I assume this is what the OP is referring to.

I think we'll have to wait for others to chip in on this one for clarification!
  • Bulk quantity is if you want to force a buyer to purchase in quantities higher than 1. So if you have 414 in stock with a bulk quantity of 100, buyers will only be able to buy either 100, 200, 300 or 400 of them.
  • @Hoddie , does that have any link to the tier pricing under Advanced options in the part catalog view? I'm just curious now, lol. Thanks!
  • Not really, tier pricing allows you to set different prices depending on how many pieces a buyer buys, but it doesn't restrict how many they can buy.

Bulk pricing = must buy in multiples of this

Tier pricing = cheaper if you hit the thresholds

They can be combined but they achieve different things. Bulk pricing is useful for sellers who pre-count items (like Technic pins for example), or where they set a cheap price but want the whole lot purchasing in one go. Tier pricing can be used to encourage buyers to purchase more, but not force them to do so.
  • Ahh, I get it. Thank you so much for enlightening us, Hoddie!