How does everyone handle returns?

I was given a negative today after offering a full refund to a customer who was dissatisfied with his purchase of 2 minifigures.
I asked him to return them for the refund plus shipping he declined said he would rather throw them in the trash than return for refund. I know the figures were in good condition and his claims were over reaching. ie a helmet was looser than expected. I also was covering the shipping to me or he could have a label.
I don't know how else to have handled this other than give him a refund and let him keep the figures. Any suggestions, or policies you have in place to stop this? This is my second negative in 4 years the other one was also for the same thing.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can't please everyone!

Sounds like you did everything you could already.
  • Like Alex said... it seems to me you were being quite reasonable! On the plus side, you're an American store, so you can at least write this loss off your taxes.

I have to admit, I've never had a return request - though I've certainly given my share of post-delivery discounts over the years due to my own boo-boos. But I do have the mechanism set up in my terms that no one reads. ;-)

It sounds to me like you definitely did your part - I think offering the return label was quite fair if not gracious in exchange for a full refund. Amazon.com requires you to return items to get a refund, why wouldn't you?

I assume the listing fairly described, i.e., the fig listed under Used/Good or Used/Acceptable condition? If Used/Like New, with a buyer hat on I would expect to see a note about the helmet (or New). But at Used/Good, not so much if it's just a wee bit loose. If a LOT loose (as in noticeable at assembly), I actually can see their POV, depending on the condition listed.

With all that said, it does appear that the buyer is newer, though that doesn't necessarily equate to not understanding the condition settings here. But some buyers don't quite follow the condition definitions here, I've noticed. :-(

Sorry you went through this, Kaydee! :-(
  • Thanks Alexwilcox & Calibrick!
    I’ve done my share of post delivery discounts too! There has been a definite uptick in customers wanting like new figures when they are just used and in good condition.
    I usually use the magnifier app on my phone to look for defects but now i’m photographing the figures as some of the claims are really suspect.
  • edited February 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Makes perfect sense to me thaat you require the item(s) returned. I would not fault your customer service on this. You could politely point out that the minifigure would need to be parted out to offset your losses, if, as the buyer has suggested, the head or hat is below expectation.