Payment not marked as received

Hello Lawrence,

Today morning I received two orders paid instantly by PayPal (with confirmation e-mail from PayPal received), but there were no changes in order statuses, there were still pending - awaiting payment.
After the first order I ignored it, thinking it was maybe an accident (and I changed the status manually), but with the second order it repeated, so I decided to report it here.

Maybe it's nothing important or only temporary.
I thought you should know.
Thank you :)
Isabel

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ill look into that. Can anyone else confirm if this is an issue for them also?
  • Worked for me at 7:57.
  • I have possibly had this happen for a few minutes, I see the payment mail come in first, then the Owl Order mail.

A look on here and it just says payment submitted, within a few min everything shows as it should. Enough time I could check payapl and change manually, I may have done that once...

Never had anything like this last long.

• I've had the same this morning.
  • Worked for me just now, so it must've been a morning thing.
  • Mine has always been like that. If I get an order where stripe is the payment method it automatically shows as payments received. If it is a PayPal payment it shows as pending until I go through and mark it as payment received. I thought it was designed like that. I was actually fixing to ask for a payment received button on the page where the orders are listed so when I am checking PayPal I can just run through and mark them paid without having to open up every order to do so.

PP
  • The only time I have noticed any issues is when my paypal email notification is slow. Sometimes I will get the BrickOwl email on my phone and immediately check the order....for a few minutes it will show as pending, but as soon as my paypal email comes in it updates to payment received.

^^PP do you have paypal set up as a business/premier account or just a personal? The auto payment logging is done with the business/premier I believe...then you have to cut and paste some info into brickowl for it all to work flawlessly. Just trying to trouble shoot your issuse as all my payments(paypal/stripe) log properly automagially on the Owl side.

Patrick
  • Yes I am a business, they get their 30.00 a month from me. :) I also have my API info keyed into Brick Owl. When I first started selling on Brick Owl it would register as payment received but shortly after about the time the BL sync was removed it changed. I just assumed it was something done intentionally.

PP
  • hmm, perhaps check it out and reenter your api info, its automagically done for me and I haven't had to do anything different, but I didn't get up and running until September really as I wasn't sure what I was doing here so maybe something changed if you were here before me. I am no expert, but you should def get it working again, let lawrence know, I am sure he would look into his end to see if its anything on the owl.
  • What, they charge you 30$ a month for being a business acct? Are there any other benefits than the normal business account?
  • Yes I get a lower fee per sale as well as when I do the comic cons and conventions I can accept credit cards with a virtual terminal.

PP
  • I don't get charged a fee.
    I have PayPal business along with "PayPal Here". So I can accept credit cards at the conventions I go to.
    "PayPal Here" is free for the device, requires you to pass a credit check, and has the normal fees we get charged per transaction here.

Chris
  • @Jazzabell I made a change last night that may have caused this issue for PayPal standard accounts, I have now reverted the code. I think I fixed it around mid-day today, it took me a while as I was out and about at Brighton Modelworld

@Plastic-Paradise that's very odd. All I can think is maybe you have some setting on your PayPal account that is causing trouble, have you got anything set with relation to "IPN"? PayPal isn't sending us the IPNs for your payments like they should do.
  • @budgetkids, the difference with the $30/mo PayPal account is that it allows your customers to use credit cards here on BO. Your PayPal business account will only allow buyers to pay with a PayPal balance. It's something to do with the payment screen flow. Outside of BO, you can get to a PayPal screen that offers "Don't have a PayPal account? Use your credit card as a PayPal guest". From BO checkout, that screen is not presented to buyers.
  • @Admin (Lawrence) I am really not sure as it used to mark them paid. I never really considered anything was wrong until I seen this post though. I always just thought a change was made in the system to the way the payments show on our orders. I figured it was done to insure we double check for payment prior to it being marked paid. I will give it a check later and see if I can figure it out.

PP
  • @DadsAFOL Since BO accepts payments with Stripe, is there really a need to pay $30 a month to receive credit card payments the way you mentioned? It seems like a waste to me if that is the only difference?

Chris
  • @Jazzabell I made a change last night that may have caused this issue for PayPal standard accounts, I have now reverted the code. I think I fixed it around mid-day today, it took me a while as I was out and about at Brighton Modelworld

Thank you Lawrence, I've just received a new order, all works properly now.
    All the best,
    Isabel
  • @DadsAFOL Since BO accepts payments with Stripe, is there really a need to pay $30 a month to receive credit card payments the way you mentioned? It seems like a waste to me if that is the only difference?

Chris
    If BO was the only form of business being conducted perhaps not. Also consider Stripe is not the only form of payment accepted. I also get reduced fees by having this set up as well as have a virtual credit card machine any where I go and set up. Now in my case I also have square which is also a credit card processor that has a device I plug into my phone or tablet and swipe the cards.

The reason I have thus far kept the PayPal virtual terminal set up is for the fee reduction. I ran some numbers a while back and honestly do not remember my threshold for savings but it really doesn't take a lot of fee reduction to cover a 30.00 cost every month.

• Actually now that we are discussing it I have been looking into it and it appears they no longer offer a discount on fees. So I may actually get rid of it myself. I wonder when that changed. I have been a PayPal Payments Pro member for a few years and never really went back and looked it over until now.

PP
  • @Plastic-Paradise Thanks for the info. That is what "PayPal Here" is, plug it into your phone and accept CC payments.

I know the feeling with the fees change. I have had a PayPal business account for years, and I just found out, if I use my PayPal card as a "credit" when I check-out, I get a percentage back. I had to manually add this to my account. I guess they just didn't want to hand out the money to me without me signing up for it. But that is nice of them to not give discount rates anymore and not have you sign-up for higher fees :P
  • I believe it works the same with a debit transaction. I use mine for everything and a lot of it is debit. I get a decent cash back once in a while. Nothing to pay the bills with but more than most places you get cash back.

PP
  • Yes, Stripe is cheaper, but PayPal funds are instant. I could get a credit card order and immediately walk over to the ATM and get the cash out if I was inclined to. Just my preference. Nothing wrong with Stripe.
  • I double checked my API and re-entered the credentials. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

• Afraid not, it seems to work for others, so I'm not sure why it would specifically not work for you at this time. Hopefully it will resolve itself over time, or I will revisit it at a later point.