Negative Sale Rates

Apologies if this has been brought up before - I did some searches on the forum and didn't find anything.

Is it possible to allow negative sales percents? This would raise the visible price instead of showing the buyer the negative percent.

The reason I request this (instead of just raising my prices) is that I use negative sale percents to make temporary increases in prices based on specific criteria. That increase is easily reversable without me having to keep track of which lots I adjusted.

So for example if I want to temporarily slow down my sales of Bionicle parts, I can put a -15% sale on those parts. And when I'm caught up again, I can simply remove the sale without having to recalculate correct pricing.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited February 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Since increasing a price isn't a sale (so shouldn't show the price tag highlight on the catalog entries), for this, I use the bulk price change tool (where you can at least down-select to subcategories and themes - such as the Bionicle theme - to bulk add or decrease by percentages. It's under MyStore > Inventory > Category (tick the ones you want) > Mass Inventory Update > Price-Percentage Change. Hope this helps!
  • You can then come back when you want to decrease doing the same, of course.
  • Of course. Thank you. I understand how to change my prices. I'm so glad that works for you. But there's no indicator to me that they're temporary. And yes, I can maintain a separate excel file or maybe handwritten sticky notes on my desk.

But what is really like is to be able to use BrickOwl to manage my inventory more effectively.

Would having negative sales percents hurt you in some way?
  • One of the reasons I haven't started on BO is because I too use a negative sales percentage system. As a seller it allows me to see I have a price increase without the buyer seeing it. I use it for tiers of prices and types of products. It also let's me quickly see if I'm in the "I can't keep up with orders large percentage increase" state vs "we're low on the increase to capture more orders". If I do a reprice logic.
    - I won't see how far above the average I am
    - I can't separate the items I price aggressively from the items I just sell at or around average prices
    - I have no sense easy way to modify large batches. Now I just take all my -49% and -%29 and adjust to -39% an -19% to do a fast adjustment. Otherwise I'm stuck with a process to reload and readjust.

It may not seem that way but "-49%" is almost like a tag that says a lot to me.
    - I'm not chasing the bottom on these
    - I think the price is to low to justify the pick time
    - The volume isn't there to capture a big order with an aggressive price.
  • @Bricklanta , I wasn't suggesting I wouldn't support this - I was just hopeful that in the event you were unaware of the above method, it would work for you in an interim. :-)
  • Another option until something like this is in-place (if you're Excel and VB-savvy) is to consider using the personal note field, combined with API downloads... you can setup automated reminders to rereview pricing to pop-up based on dates you place in your personal note field, as an example. Just an idea, trying to help! :-)
  • If the "Sale" attribute would be renamed to "Price-Adjustment" and allow both negative % (= a sale) or positive % (= a price uplift), everything would seem correct (for the system).

When this would change, the system could execute a one-time conversion so the currently entered "Sale" values would be updated to the negated value (so the "Price-Adjustment" matches the previous Sale value).
  • @Calibrick Maybe I didn't understand correctly what you said, but if you add 10% to your price and then later reduce 10% it doesn't turn back to the original price.

For instance, if you price one item at 1 EUR and add 10% it becomes 1,1 EUR but then when you subtract 10% it becomes 0,99 EUR.

In that respect a "negative" sale is more clean, easy and effective. And as someone said you will always have more control of which prices were increased.

I think this is one of those little things that don't hurt anyone and make life easier for some of us :)
  • @ForeverSorting , I had no idea it didn't return properly... if I bump an area up 10% and a month later drop it 10%, it SHOULD add and then remove the same amount. That seems problematic, for sure. Have you talked to admin about this? Again, no issue with the suggestion and am upvoting it, just wondering if there isn't something else happening in the system.
  • 10% of 1.00 = 0.10
    New price = 1.10
    10% of 1.10 = 0.11
    New price = 0.99

@Bricklanta's method would work better, as the base price would be retained and the 10% increase or decrease would be worked out from that.

Usual price = 1.00
    Positive sale of 10% = 0.90
    Negative sale of 10% = 1.10

Either way, when you remove the sale, the price reverts to 1.00.

I don't believe I would make use of this but I can see how others would find it useful.
  • @Calibrick It's not problematic, it's simple arithmetic! The system is functioning correctly.
  • SMH, that was definitely a blonde moment on my part!! Wow, hanging my head in shame here, for sure! Lol.
  • This has now been implemented
  • That is awesome, thank you!
  • Fantastic news! Thank you Lawrence! Now I'm off to build this into BrickTrac!
  • @Lawrence I am really happy that you implemented this, but why did you choose to have a cutoff at -95, can this be increased to -9999 or something so it is compatible for sync?
  • We have a maximum price limit, this negative sale percentage can be used to exceed that price limit, so I want to keep it within reasonable bounds.
  • Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.