Feedback options

I know this has been brought up a couple of other times before, but unfortunately those conversations were quickly sidetracked by bickering. I'm hoping Admin can shed some light on why the option for Negative feedback from a seller for a buyer is somehow intentionally missing. I am only able to select 'positive' when leaving feedback for the buyer. Also, if there is a way for a seller to respond to negative feedback, I've yet to find it. I would appreciate an explanation as to the absence of these options, and would strenuously suggest that they be added. I feel it's inappropriately one-sided to allow negative feedback for sellers, but not for buyers. There is extensive evidence showing the need for it on that other site.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This site allows an instant checkout therefore sellers don't always get the chance to review a buyer's feedback profile before having to fulfil the order. In some (most?) cases payment may already have been received, which in some countries means a contract has been formed to supply the ordered goods to the buyer. At this point it would be too late to review feedback in any case, the decision to go ahead has been taken for you.

I agree that there is value in being able to weed out troublesome buyers, but there has to be something better than the traditional eBay/BL feedback wars of old.

At the very least I would allow sellers to leave a "right of reply" to any neutral or negative feedback, which should be displayed alongside the feedback that they're replying to. Other potential buyers can then decide for themselves, based on the buyer's feedback and the seller's reply, whether to go ahead with their own order. Obviously some sellers will shoot themselves in the foot with such a system but it will at least allow for a more balanced feedback profile.
  • The way we deal with issues with customers is via the problem reporting system accessible from the other actions dropdown of an order. This system makes keeping track of trends/problems much easier. I don't think it's professional for stores to leave negative public comments about customers.

The right to reply is important, it is on the task list.
  • Thanks Lawrence. Appreciate the reply. I can certainly see the point that you and Hoddie make regarding negative feedback, as he/she is generally correct that by the time the customer makes a purchase, it's already too late. However, I did receive a cash purchase the other day, which is still pending, and then there are a number of people out there that use quotes extensively in order to allow for exact shipping calculations, so in those instances the payment isn't made immediately. I initially saw it as a benefit in the event that your back and forth with the customer turned ugly, you might be able to warn people against future purchases from that buyer. But I agree, generally it would not be very useful on the front end of things here at BO. I do, however, feel that being able to reply to a neutral or negative feedback is crucial, and I'm glad to see it is on the list of todo's. Thanks.