Combining orders

I regularly have customers who add to their existing order by placing a new one. The system correctly handles this by only charging any shipping cost increase and a fee for combining (if set up). This has worked perfectly.

Yesterday a customer placed two orders (7153570 and 1256128 and if admin is interested), but they were not combined. The first order was right up the limit for our bubble mailer. The second order should have had the difference from letterpost to parcel, but it got charged the regular letterpost rate. The orders were 13 minutes apart, order combining is still active, and the first order was still at "payment received" state.

Is this because of the short time in between? Or did something change?

Niek.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not sure but can the customer elect not to combine orders?
  • @Hoddie I don't know. That would be a shame though. Fitting an order of 300 grams (our cut-off) in letterpost is quite a bit of work to make sure the mailer stays under 2cm in transit. Shipping parcel makes packing an order a whole lot easier, so that 300gr cut-off is also to prevent us from spending a lot of time on larger orders. Splitting them in 2x300 grams orders kinda defeats this.
  • Yes, the customer has the option to combine the order preselected, but they can change it to not combine, you can test it yourself in your store.
    Maybe your customer saw it was cheaper to ship 2 orders than to combine them.
  • Above is my guess also - or they did not see the combine option on the shipping screen, another possibility. When that happens, if I know I can fit it in the same original mailer, I just refund them their shipping less my process fee (or the difference in shipping if it adds weight). Just a personal, customer service choice. :-)
  • Thanks all, makes sense!