Well... Nevermind I Guess

Guess I wont be selling here. I'm not starting a Paypal account to only use for 20 orders. And apparently even though I have 100% feedback with over a year of service on other markets. I'm a danger to everyone.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Um, sorry, could you vague your message up a bit more? :-) Just some light joshing there... in seriousness, I think we're missing some context to better understand your message, LocuraCNC. Is there something we of the community can help you with? Is there a concern with BO store rules?
  • I think this is about the 'new store' rule that a new seller can only use Paypal as payment option, until they have a certain (I thought it was 10 not 20) amount of orders (from different buyers).
    Only after that a new seller can add other payment options.

And yes, it makes no difference that you are a great seller in other places.
    At every place you start from scratch same as here on BO
  • Wow, been a while since we saw someone drop the "I'm famous on Bricklink" line.
  • edited January 2023 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Hoddie Must have deleted the comment because I don't see where anyone said that.

@Baskrie Not complaining about starting over, would just like to start over in a way thats not asking someone to use paypal... What other place is doing that? Years ago yea we didnt have many options, we had to suck it up and just use paypal even though NO ONE liked it. No...everyone has options.
  • Every marketplace I know requires you to use their own proprietary payment system or otherwise use PayPal until an established trading history has been built up. This includes the three big Lego reselling platforms Ebay, Bricklink and Amazon.

The largest sellers on Brick Owl went through the same process.
  • @LocuraCNC I'm sure you can see the reasoning for it. The buyer protection given by Paypal could be invaluable for buyers of a store with low feedback. It's also a great inventive from a sellers point of view - buy from me! I'm new but you are protected even if I make a mistake. That's much better than saying 'buy from me, I've been selling on another site with 100% feedback'

Also a lot of people use Paypal, sure, the fees aren't fun, but if you are making extra sales...
  • Actually I have only ever used PayPal only because of those noted protections (as well as the convenience, as anyone can use it as a guest) - over 4 years, only two people have ever questioned it - and were fine once they learned they could use it for guest checkout.

As a seller, it also gives me a single place to download my activity reports every few weeks as we update our books and calc our donations.

Some folks hate PayPal for sure, and rightfully so (lots of horror stories out there, sadly) - but to say no one likes it might be just a wee touch of hyperbole. Some of us have no issues with it, and some of us love it - it's all up to each store after that "local" verification of seller adequacy is in-place to choose what best suits their business case.

Basically I started with it like everyone else, but cheerfully just stayed with it at 4k+ transactions later... :-)

The great news is since you are established on other platform(s), you can synchronize your stock with say BL, and the PayPal order minimum should fly by so fast you'll barely notice it! Then you can cheerfully change it up to your preference or add other alternatives, e.g., Stripe.

We wish your new store to this platform the best of luck, and do hope you choose to stay and sell. This is a very special place with extraordinary administrative support and a lot of peers that are always willing to help - as one Brickowl, one seller's success is EVERY store's success - if I'm missing something in stock one of my regulars wants, they may be buying it from you instead! :-)
  • I like PayPal and I've only used PaypPal (except local purchases).

By the way, I don't get the pictures... Nothing special there...
    Besides the rant - no one is forcing you to sell here if you don't want. No need to complain about it - continue selling at what ever locations you prefer and are good in =). There is no monopoly anywhere neither for buyers of Lego nor sellers of Lego. Yeah, BL might have better prices for some certain things, but I still do most of my purchases in BO =). And no one is forcing me =).
    @p6tu the pics was to show i did have LEGO to sell and not just spamming drama when i had no intention to sell anyways. But hey thanks for the cheap shot. I wasnt trying to show off anything. But whatever. Im not sure why that remark was needed.

Thanks for... Most of the replies guys haha. Most of them were helpful and i may just stick around and give it a shot. But hell since i have nothing "special" haha. Not sure how you know that from a few pics but ok :)

I really was just upset about having to set up a Paypal account and do all this platform stuff for 20 orders. Been happy not using paypal aftter closing the account years ago, even if it means a few less orders.
    And on a side note... anyone talking about Paypal protections... Ive never had any issues getting refunds or handling any issues at all with any other platform even if its just my CC. So for me, thats just not a good selling point. The fees and other general crap they make you go through just doesnt offset that they do what everyone else is also doing. They dont do anything any other rep company isnt doing and they tend to charge more.
  • @LocuraCNC , I'm not sure, but I think it's a way BO avoids having fraudulous sellers. I'm sure you have seen these types on many 2nd hand / local ad websites, where 1 day old accounts sell an expensive set for 80% or less of the normal price. By the time these accounts are detected and removed, they already made one or more victims.
    To avoid having to do very extensive (and time consuming) seller background checks (which doesn't benefit sellers either, as it can take a long time before you can actually open your store), BO enforces PayPal until it's proven the seller is trustworthy. Basically, they make PayPal buyer protection mandatory until you've proven to be trustworthy. I believe this is actually a very good, simple and effective way to block scammers.
  • @Gaston.La.Brick Yea mate i know that, was not my point at all. The examples you gave does not go for this at all.
  • I do agree with Gaston completely, but that aside - it's your business decision, @LocuraCNC. You can choose to abide by the terms of this platform that we each share a % of our sales (a lesser % than BL, I would note) for the privilege to sell on. Or simply not sell here - it's BO's world, and those here cheerfully choose to live in it, having each have met the same rules when we opened our stores. :-)
  • @Calibrick I agree with him also however that really doesn't apply to this situation at all haha. You guys convinced me to give it a shot so im deff going all in.

PS, your shared shipping tables are awesome :)
  • That is AWESOME to hear someone is benefiting from the shared tables! That helps me a ton when I started here too. Pay it forward! :-)