High prices on used sets

Hello,

I'm just making some noise due to the fact that prices of used sets in BO have been quite high compared to BL in the past couple of years... Why is that? As I'm mostly on the consumer side, then, at the same time being more fond of BO, it is somewhat sad to make a purchase in BL ... Sadly, most frequently I have just done that, but I'd like to be doing my shopping here =(...
How come has the price difference grown so big between BO and BL? Is there a specific reason for sellers? Just in case, the price difference isn't that noticable or bad, when it is about just spare parts. Just with used sets...

With the best wishes,
P6tu

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I actually only have one used set for sale, but I based my price point on the competition at this site vs. others... so it may be that others do the same, and gradually over time the divide grew? But with more and more sellers now selling on both platforms, I would think the prices have more aligned with BL - so this is a bit surprising to hear.

As a consumer, you absolutely should buy from where you have the best deal - we'd all do the same more often than not. :-)
  • Well, price isn't always the only "parameter" to go for =).

Sellers, take this as a shoutout - I want to by here and a small price difference doesn't matter ;).
  • Hi p6tu

Maybe I can be a good example in this, since my store is mostly centered around sets.

To start of, i have no connection with bricklink, and never visit the site.
    I have a user and only because a friend of mine have a shop there.
    So with prices and references between 2 of the same sets, I do as calibrick.

If the set is already being sold here at brickowl, I tend to put my price at the low end. Rather sell low, than sell nothing.

Lastly, my most expensive sets have been reduced in price over time. But apart from that I tend to leave it as is.
    And this Christmas season i have sold quite a few sets, in all price ranges.
    So I might not see a "price" problem.
  • BL sellers are able to add all sorts of additional fees to the final bill, and many of them do, so they price their items low and then bump up the final price in other ways. That's not easily achieved at BO so the items have to be priced reasonably to begin with.

Often when looking at pricing on both sites, you're comparing apples to oranges.
  • Also further to Hoddie's comments, most sellers that are on both sites sync their items between the two and have the same price on both sites. Perhaps the sets you are comparing have other factors that make them cheaper. Only part of set, missing instructions, etc...
  • I'm mostly "hunting" Technic sets. Right now for Christmas I bought set 42069 (adventure truck). Price without shipping and without original box was little less than 120€. At the same time in BO has it for 150€. Shipping price is actually quite same for both sellers.

Another set that I'm aiming to get at the moment, is the 42043 (Merc truck). In BL with box and complete set: 240€. BO equivalent is 330€.
  • Hi P6tu,
    After a quick look around at those and other similar sets, I notice BL has a much larger amounts for sale. For example the 42043 (brilliant set btw):

BL: 71 lots new, 33 lots used.
    BO: 5 lots new and 4 lots used.

Sellers that do sell on both websites, seem to be going for the same prices on both. When there are more sellers of the same item, it's logical you get a wider spread of the price.

Fun fact: even though you get a lot more sellers asking lower prices on BL, the average price for that set (used) is 453 euro on BL but only 375 euro on BO. So on average, BO sellers keep their prices closer together, while on BL there seems to be a huge gap between min and max asking prices.