New/Complete vs New/Incomplete

Because of the age of my inventory, combined with the high shipping costs when the box is included, I have made a decision to sell sets as New but without the Original Box. There are a number of advantages in this, but I’m not here to discuss the pros or cons. I do have a question however …

Over on BL the box has to be there for New/Sealed or New/Complete. Reading the BO Help page (on Item Conditions) the difference between New/Complete and New/Incomplete is somewhat ambiguous. I’m left with the impression that I could use either of them to sell without the box, provided that I clearly disclose this in the item notes (which I will be doing).

Is there any more definitive guidance on this ?

TIA

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've always erred on the side of caution and taken the approach that sealed means sealed, and complete is everything but the seals have been broken. I'm not sure if it's a syncing with BL issue, but I have seen sets listed as New/Complete but the public note states no box or instructions or spares, which to my mind is New/Incomplete. If you're going down the route of not shipping the original box I'd use New/Incomplete for those, coupled with your public note.
  • Thank you. To be clear, I’m not selling the original box as part of the lot on offer. I’ve already had one potential customer (over on BL) imply that I should fold up the box and stuff it in the envelope.

There are a long list of reasons why I’m taking this approach, but they are for another thread, not here.

Nita Rae
  • Jay27 and I are in sync for sure - New/Sealed is a no-brainer, but I think nearly everyone is happy with something called New/Complete if it has all the parts and instructions and they know in advance there's no box. That comment is key, for sure, IMHO.

If they're not happy with it, then they just won't buy it. :-)

I sell collectible minifigs as New/Complete as I remove them from the sealed foil bag to ID the figure and place them into my own polybag. I note this in the comments quite clearly - everyone seems fine with that, too.