Suggestion: Mandatory feedback/order reception

I have one (maybe two) suggestion(s):
- giving feedback, either as a seller or a buyer, should be mandatory; the same way I receive notifications if I don't answer quotes, and eventually my account gets blocked, the same could happen if people don't leave feedback about order
- if not for feedback, at least for marking orders as received; the majority of buyers don't change the order status to Received, so it just stays on Shipped forever; they should also receive notifications to change the order status, after some time, and if they don't do it have some sort of consequence.
I really don't understand why an account may be blocked due to not responding to quotes, especially when I constantly receive spam quotes (quotes from freshly-created accounts, sometimes with the same name, always from the USA, always for the same item), but for important stuff like feedback (to build up confidence) or tracking of orders there's nothing.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So you want to block buyers who don't leave feedback? Sorry but this is possibly the worst suggestion I've ever seen posted here. Encourage, fine, but obligate them? That's a sure-fire way to get inappropriate feedback and lose buyers.
  • That spam quote thing should be reported to the admin, separately. Maybe there is something that could be done?
  • Since it has no impact on our shop if people "finish" their orders with received. I as well would say that we might make more damage with sending reminders out, than to just leave it as is.

As I have written before, I do not even look at that anymore, and if I have not heard anything from the customer i take it as all is good.
  • I am against mandatory feedback but would like to see an automatic positive feedback 6 months after the order has been marked as shipped and nothing else was done.
  • Objectively, Amazon, Wal-Mart, Wayfair... I can't name a single Internet retailer that forces customers to mark order receipt or leave feedback. Gentle encouragement here or there, sure - that's just fine. And I believe that's for a pretty good reason - you don't want to make customers do "extra work" - they give money, and as far as most are concerned, their work is done...

... just respectfully saying. :-) There's no bad ideas in my mind, but I would certainly fear every customer would beat feet if this was mandatory (facing blockage without feedback) and did downvote this.

Sorry, but please keep the ideas coming in!!! :-)
  • Regarding blockage for nonresponsiveness to quotes, that is part of BO's terms of service for us sellers. If someone wants a quote from a store, the store is obligated to respond in a reasonably expeditious manner. And most of us want to - the quicker the quote, the quicker they may turn that into an order! :-)

As noted by Oldfan, if you are being spammed in quotes, you should certainly use Contact Us at the bottom of this page and advise the sysadmin! :-)
  • Sorry, 100% against this. Possibly 110%. Why is it so important for you to have orders marked as received. Once I mark it to shipped, I usually don't check it again. Also, sometimes no feedback is good feedback as if the buyer was forced to leave some, they'd leave a less than positive.
  • Thanks for the comments (even though it seems that some didn't understand my point(s)).
    Clearly I'm a different person from all of you, which is good to know. I'm glad yellow is not everyone's favourite colour.

Of course the spam quote thing has been reported. Still, it continues.

As a buyer, I always leave feedback once I receive a package - here or on Bricklink. This is not Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc. This is a LEGO community that relies on trust, thus feedback is important. I bet that when you buy, here or on Bricklink, rating is important for deciding where to buy.
    As a seller, I only leave feedback once the buyer left his/hers, as I got tired of rating people without them doing the same to me.

Finally, also as a seller, I like to know that everything I send arrived ok, the costumer is satisfied, etc. When tracking is included I can know when things arrive, yes, but then it bothers me to have orders marked as "Shipped" and not "Completed".
  • edited October 2022 Vote Up0Vote Down
    We all run our stores to our own groove - there's nothing wrong (and everything right! <s>) about that! :-) I for one auto leave feedback for every buyer, just because I appreciate it when sellers do that for me. They paid me, they did their part. It has yet to burn me 4.5 years in, though I am likely smaller than many of your stores (I don't sell on BL - they irritated me so much in 2018 I decided to open up over here, deleted my account over there (I used to buy a lot), and never looked back!).

Others leave feedback only upon receiving feedback; others wait a few weeks and then leave for all. It's whatever works for folks!

The culture on BO for sales is a bit different than on BL - there is no emphasis at all for either side (buyer or seller) on the whole marking the order status thing, beyond the system marking an order payment received automatically, and us marking an order as shipped. I do like to mark as processing once I start an actual pull, as they cannot then combine that order with new parts in that status.

While I would love to know as a seller if the buyer was happy or not, and I'm thrilled when they do leave honest feedback (I finally broke 1000 at long last - the feedback rate here is 10-15% of orders, at best), on BO, no news is generally great news also. :-)

Many of us put on our biz cards or note on the invoice to ask the buyer to consider leaving feedback, as we are all small businesses and it helps others to know that we are trustworthy/value-added, etc., and it helps us.

@Colorado Bricks made an interesting suggestion above... I think he put that if there is no change from Shipped to Received or feedback added, they system AUTOMATICALLY leaves feedback at 6 months. Many of us would see our feedback skyrocket at that with the low feedback rates here. I feel like there's something there with that idea... I'm not sure auto-positive is the best (it may diminish the "value" of positives people took the time to leave and write, at least to me to be super-honest), but maybe there's some way to also address that and make a win-win. Not auto-neutral, as that's not fair either of course.

Right now, our home pages show (using mine as an example):

Owner: Calibrick
    Store Opened: Dec 2017
    Despatches in 1-2 Days
    Smoke free store
    Differentiates mold variations

Maybe the system can tweak that a bit and add total number of orders SHIPPED by a store to give a sense of the store's history, since most understand that not everyone leaves feedback:

*Proactive Feedback: 1048 (100%)
    **Orders Delivered: 3928
    Owner: Calibrick
    Store Opened: Dec 2017
    Despatches in 1-2 Days
    Smoke free store
    Differentiates mold variations

**Just adding that "orders shipped" number can give a bit more context for a buyer maybe?
    *Then add that magic word "proactive" to illustrate that is a number of people that went OUT OF THEIR WAY to leave feedback. I think the vast majority of people are internet-savvy enough (that buy online) to understand that not everyone leaves feedback, as they'd know from their own buying behavior if they bother to do that or not. :-)

Just pondering out loud!
  • >> the feedback rate here is 10-15% of orders, at best), on BO, no news is generally great news also. :-)

Higher than that, surely? Mine is 31% and I doubt I'm an outlier.
  • edited October 2022 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Hoddie, ack, typo! In a previous discussion on this same topic (feedback), I recalled a group of us feeling the average was 20-25% when comparing our individual values.

So that was a typo, mea culpa! But I also did NOT go back and find that thread... it was quite low tho. I'm glad to hear yours is 31%, that is awesome! Mine is around 26%, it appears.
  • @ jnscoelho I agree with you on the received part but not on the forced feedback. Especially now that the EU have said that we have to offer a 14 day return policy for anything that has been shipped within the EU even though the UK is no longer part of the EU. How do you know when the 14 days start if the buyer does not marked as received.
  • @Neiljones fyi this isn't a new regulation imposed by the EU, distance selling laws have specified this for 10 years! I wouldn't worry about the buyer marking the order as received to start the 14 day return period, realistically you just aren't going to get enough return requests to make it a problem.

One thing you do need to bare in mind is that you need to specify in your returns policy that you will not refund for postage costs, otherwise buyers can claim that back from you as well as a refund for the parts. Also you can't charge a restocking fee.

Another thing not always considered is that the same distance selling laws do not apply for business to business purchases, so beware of this if you are a seller and want to return something.
This discussion has been closed.