Technic motor systems: what works with what?

I'm getting back into Technic after last having built models with it back in the 1990's. I was familiar with the old 9V electric system, but I see that has long been discontinued and now there are newer systems out there, and I have some questions about those.

If I understand correctly, there are three systems since then:
One is the "Power Functions" series from the mid 2000's which uses infrared remote controls and has power cables with square connectors that superficially resemble those on the old 9V system.
Next is Mindstorms / NXT which uses RJ connectors with a latch offset to one side.
And finally there is the most recent system which seems to have many names including "Power Functions 2.0" and is used by Spike, Powered Up!, Control+, WeDo, etc; this system uses bluetooth for remote control and its cables use RJ connectors with no latch.
Please correct me if I got any of that wrong.

1) I understand there are special converter cables which can connect between Power Functions and the latest system (54690). Do these cables offer bi-directional compatibility or do they only work one way? Can I run a Power Functions motor on a Control+ hub using this cable? What about running a Control+ motor from a Power Functions battery box?

2) The appearance of the Power Functions cable connectors makes me wonder if they are backwards compatible with the old 9V platform. Can the old 9V powered motors run on the Power Functions or Control+ systems? In other words, can I run a Micromotor off a Power Functions battery box? Or off a Control+ hub using the converter cable?

any help would be appreciated!

Comments