New Seller Confused about Shipping Bands

Hello!

I'm new to brick owl and have been setting up my shop the past couple of days. I got to the part to set up shipping methods and am very confused on how/what bands are. My store is in the United States so I plan to use USPS and UPS to ship out things. Can someone please explain what and how bands work? Are there examples of bands that I can use?

Thanks!
Arret

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, you can use shared shipping bands (if they meet your needs) and simply modify the rates on them - go to your shipping tab under store settings and there is a big green or blue button saying SHARED BANDS, if memory services. I do share all of mine (in the US also), you'd need only change your zip code to show where you are shipping from so the zones calc correctly. The bands I share are actual USPS rates + 0.50 to cover packing materials, and I pad 0.5 to 2 ounces depending on the size/weights as packing gets heavier when you get into boxes. This presumes you use padded mailers, you'll have to tinker with it also. Much of your bands will depend on your planned packaging sizes/weights, etc.
  • Thank you for your help!
  • I hope you were able to get it setup ok! That was my biggest challenge when I opened in 2018 - figuring out the appropriate padding to accommodate packaging weights as well as the size constraints for different USPS options, e.g., flat-rate priority mail boxes. Plus USPS now charges a surcharge for boxes over 22" in length (I think), so I had to move my larger items to simply "Request a Quote" (i.e., sealed box sets) since there are variables on when those charges apply. :-)
  • @Calibrick how do you just have "request a quote" on all items? Im only selling sets and since they are heavier/bigger for shipping anyway, there is no standard USPS rate for them. I don't see a way to set this as my only default. Thanks.
  • @Jank21 , BO forces you have to at least one band setup, but I guess technically you could set it up for something crazy in size/weight so it never applies so EVERYTHING will default to Request a Quote.

I do strongly recommend you consider investing in setting up some bands for at least the smaller sets, though (I know your pain with the crazy max dimension/volume rules now which add more cost when exceeded) - you'll see much better sales. Most buyers here do prefer the experience of popping in, getting an on-demand rate, and placing the order in one quick sitting.

There are standard USPS rates, but they're a big pain to setup the max volume and max dimensions - so you'll end up with multiple bands for Parcel Ground Select to address that (over 22", over 30", etc.). And you'll have to pad the sizes carefully to ensure you don't lose $$.

Honestly, I have mine setup to force request a quote once an item hits 30" in length.

Just my respectful thoughts for your consideration! :-)
  • FYI, BO does have the USPS API here, so your band is setup based on YOUR zipcode and calculates the rate based on the buyers zone in terms of your zip code.