PayPal updates coming October 31

I received a notice from PayPal of upcoming changes. While I’m not using PayPal on Brick Owl, there could be impacts on some of the members . These are changes to US account holders, but (based on the actual changes) there may be similar happening to other countries.

> U.S. business accounts will not be able to receive personal transactions from PayPal accounts outside the U.S. starting October 31, 2022.

> U.S. PayPal accounts will not be able to send personal transactions to business accounts outside the U.S. starting October 31, 2022

I’m still a bit unclear about what is meant by ‘personal transactions’, unless it’s referring to F&F. It may be that the cost of moving F&F across borders has become prohibitive. If they are referring to any B2C and C2B, that’s going to be a serious hit.

If anyone has better information, please post it.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm assuming this is to stop sellers from asking their buyers to use friends&family transactions to avoid Paypal fees.
  • You are correct, its friends and family. PayPal are basically putting restrictions on friends and family payments to/from business accounts to reduced fee avoidance.
  • Makes it a more level playing field for those of us who don't abuse F&F.
  • Thank you for the heads-up, Nita! Agree with the above, this is to evade the abuse no doubt. I see it as a positive... if people are truly sending $$ to F&F, they can send to personal accounts is all.
  • @Calibrick there is also an attempt to use F&F for small value transactions to avoid any fees. Over on Reddit there is a sub called r/legoraffles where they has been some usage to buy small value raffle tickets (which probably breaks all kind of rules). The folks running this appear to aware of the rule bending, and are trying to avoid remarks that cause accounts to be suspended. More game playing involving LEGO sales.
  • Ugh I hate it when people don't play by the rules, thus increasing costs for those that do. Sigh.