‘Shipped’ by whose definition ?

Last Monday was a USPS holiday (Juneteenth observed). When that happens, it typically causes one or more days having a substitute carrier. Today may have been the day.

I put a BO package in my mailbox at 0630. Late morning and past noon, I checked tracking. Not showing it has been picked up and scanned. At 1300, I walked down to the mailbox, and it was gone, replaced with one piece of inbound mail.

At 1500, it is still lacking an acceptance scan (even tho I have marked it as shipped). My guess is either the substitute carrier does not have a cell-enabled scanner, or else no one told them they need to scan packages being picked up.

Color me frustrated.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Nita, I go through this constantly - and yes, generally on "shorter" work weeks where our regulars take annual leave for the week. For me, I'm in a housing development that has those ridiculous shared "boxes" with only an envelope-sized slit. So I have to regularly submit a request for pickup request to my house when I want pickups.

IF they even show up (if local manager Jester is on vacation, I've learned they NEVER check the pickup list and don't come), when they do, they rarely scan the package. I generally don't see a scan until it hits the main county (San Diego) distribution Center, which takes up to 24 hours. :-(

Also, during peak holiday times (e.g., Xmas) I've learned that local USPS is permitted to skip scanning pickups to maximize their time - so I see a lot of outgoing packages that never get scanned ANYWHERE down the line - but magically show up at the buyer's home.

Unfortunately I think this is well out of our control - you could try calling your local USPS and noting your concern, but I suspect it's a USPS-wide rule that they can skip the scans around holiday weeks. And with 4th of July also coming up, this may happen again in a week or two. :-(
  • Oops I just realized based on the topic name, you may be asking what the definition of shipped is. I mark it shipped when I've packed it and placed the package outside for pickup or have my husband drop it off (which we proactively do on holiday weeks now).