Lost Package, How Long really?

I have a customer that still has not received their package. It will have been 2 months in 2 days since it shipped out. Anyone have any idea how long it takes for something to ship to Romania? The package weight was only 2 ounces.

I have been communicating about this order with the customer since January 14th (1 month after it shipped) that he'd not received it. Do I give this longer since it is Romania or should I file the claim now.
Melissa

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have the same issue. The customer opened a PayPal case just a few weeks into shipping on a package headed to Germany. I am just playing the waiting game. Waiting and hoping.

PP
  • Two months sounds like too long to me. I usually give it 5-6 weeks for the dodgiest countries.
  • Just got off the phone with USPS. For future reference if you ship to this country; 1st Class International to Romania "Can/will take between 3 - 4 months to arrive at its destination. If you want it to arrive faster you should use International Priority. Then your customer will receive the package faster." How much faster?, I asked... 2 - 3 months.
    I'm emailing my customer again about this order and waiting even longer for it to get there. This was my first and last order shipped to Romania due to the delivery time.
    Wow, I'm still stunned. 3-4 months.
    Melissa
  • That's amazing, difficult to understand where it could actually be all that time. Even if t was scheduled to go on a boat, once it hits land, that only makes sense if it goes by foot!
  • I have shipped to Romania before with first class international and it took about a month. Longest I ever had was three months to Brazil. I ended up refunding the customer after two months and then he repaid me when he received the package a month after that.
    James
  • The one thing I learned long ago is most Postal employees have no clue what they are talking about. I take what they tell me with a grain of salt. They are the most ill informed company I have ever dealt with. You can walk in and ask 3 different clerks the exact same question and get 3 different answers. They are horrible. I would not take that advise to your customer. It will likely be an instant PayPal claim. I would just agree on a date to wait for it and a resolution if it has not arrived by that date.

PP
  • The problem you may be up against - unless it varies by Country or Region - AFAIK - a buyer has a maximum of 45days to file a claim, or at least lodge a dispute - however once the dispute is filed a claim can be filed after one email.

That's probably the reason PayPal don't offer 1st Class International thru their website, some diplomatic communications is prob best, at least ask (beg) them to hold off escalating the claim!

I have found it best to only offer Priority and/or only accept non PayPal or CC payments to "dodgy" places. Delays are nearly always down to the Border Agency of the destination Country.
  • Not sure how some places work but i know my dad has a place in Dominican and mail gets around their just by people passing it around. Kind of a " hey do you know this guy" kinda thing. Will get passed on to people all over the place till someone finally knows the person and can give it to them.