Image sorting thoughts

I have a slightly unusual dilemma. On most parts in the catalogue, there are many possible colours of picture that could be shown. Prior to now, the default picture colour was partially based on the most viewed items plus a bit of random.

I've now sorted it based on sales data, so the bestselling colour is used as the default colour for that parts picture. So, a plate 1 x 2 has a black picture.

The issue is, all of the colours are boring. The catalogue is now just full of black, grey and white. If I sort it the opposite way, by the worst selling parts, then the catalog is full of nice greens, dark blue, orange etc that nobody seems to want to buy.

I wondered if people had a preference on this, would you rather see the most popular dull colour, or a bright colour that nobody wants to buy.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think the popular colours, while somewhat boring, is good.

I always found it harder to find the pics in a list that were a special colour, look past them 20 times before remembering the parts are shown as metallic blue or whatever.

Poking around the catalog it looks reasonably colourful and familiar to me.
  • Perhaps as it is now together with the alternative colours shown underneath each item, like you have elsewhere.
  • Show more color all the way. Everyone knows black and gray. LEGO is nice because of the variety... so i think you should show that.
  • I think you should ignore "best selling colour" and go for strictly random colour from the choice of colours of that item.
  • I would go with the popular colors even it is dull. I think most LEGO builders already know what they want when they start to shop anyway.

PP
  • I would go with the popular colors even it is dull. I think most LEGO builders already know what they want when they start to shop anyway.

PP
    If thats true then why make it dull and not show colour? I thought the same exact thing which is why i thought using the most sold color would be pointless... might as well show some color.
  • There are some fairly ugly rendered pics still around to go completely random.

If more varied colour, at least a high quality pic should come first for presentation I think.
  • To clarify, Pictures are ordered by priority before it gets to the stage of which color to show.
  • I would use the higher quality pictures first. Then sorted by random. People may know what they want but a slew of black/grey/whites is still a depressing pallet. Plus not all people come here knowing exactly what they want. I would make use of all colors. So no all popular ones, not most viewed, not most bought, these would all lead to the same basic colors. LEGO is made to be colorful and imaginative. Show the creativity by using all the colors through the catalog.

my 1 and 1/2 cents worth

Chris